My Seachem Stability Diary :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

annaw123

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey guys! I now have a 48 litre tank rather than a 25 litre ... I have been dosing it with Seachem Stability as said on the bottle.
So here are my results, this is day 4 of dosing (after emptying the whole tank on friday).
Can anyone give me a hand with these results?
smile.png

The ONLY thing in the tank is 5 plants, are the levels due to the plants?? They arent getting as much light as they should be at the minute as you're not meant to have UV whilst using stability.
Any help/comments would be appreciated!
smile.png

Attachments

• 20131022_154708_resized.jpg
    20131022_154708_resized.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 101
We talked about this in chat, and are still quite mystified as to where the ammonia source is, clearly its already being converted to nitrites, i wonder what the nitrates look like.   The tank appears to be cycling with no livestock, and no added ammonia source!

Have you tested your ammonia for tap water lol I mean your tap water for ammonia?
Does the tank already have an established filter?
Are the plants decaying or healthy?
Any dead snails in there?

Havent tested my tap water, I will do that now!! 
No, the filter came new with the tank :)
One slightly brown plant but I couldnt really call it decaying! But gonna take it out anyway :)
Nope no dead snails!!!

My tap water in San Francisco had discernible levels of ammonia.  I found that out the hard way.  I second testing for ammonia in tap water.

I thought that might be the case but it just seemed like a really high reading, and all the nitrite too.

Here are my tap water testing results
smile.png

Attachments

• 20131022_210745_resized.jpg
    20131022_210745_resized.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 98
So the tank and filter are brand new and nothing has been added to it except 5 plants, gravel and Seachem Stability?

I have no idea what to suggest... I'm pretty sure Stability doesn't contain ammonia... perhaps try adding some Stability to a jug of water and see what happens in the jug? :dunno:

Yep, a week ago i had 3 rosey tetras in it but they died ... after which I emptied the whole thing out, cleaned the gravel and had the same plants in.
Here are some water tests I've literally just done, since getting my bigger tank tonight there is obviously lots of clean water in there :)

Attachments

• 20131022_213423_resized.jpg
    20131022_213423_resized.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 98
Anna, are those test results without any water changing from the last results?  The ammonia has gone down a little bit, and the nitrite has gone down SIGNIFICANTLY.   Something caused the ammonia, not sure what it was, but now the bacteria in the stability appears to be both converting ammonia and nitrite, and obviously colonizing.   With no guarantee there is consistent ammonia source, when that ammonia hits 0, I suggest what we talked about and add 2 feeder guppy to make sure the cycle continues.   

Technically I suppose it WOULD class as a water change, as the new tank was bigger so had to put quite a lot of fresh water in :) I will test again tomorrow and post, and we'll see what I've got! :) I'll keep an eye, when the ammonia hits 0 I will get 2 guppies ... may have to ask advice as my colour vision isnt 100% :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back