My Puffer Puffing Up?!?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish4fish

Reaction score
Is it safe for puffers to puff up? i have 3 figure of eight puffers & one puffed up today & just wondered if its ok for them to do this or is it to do with stress?

They are figure of eight puffers & i have 3 of them in my 3' tank

I've never seen my South American pufferfish puff under any circumstances, but the dog-faced puffer I looked after years ago would puff up if netted or otherwise stressed. So I think the likelihood of a pufferfish puffing varies quite a bit.

As you know, they do this when stressed. Provided they puff up underwater, there really shouldn't be any problems. It is only when they puff up with air that problems seem to occur. They have problems expelling air, and you need to intervene directly if the puffer 'gets stuck'. Otherwise, it can suffocate, because the air stops it keeping its gills under water.

On the other hand, if the fish is puffing up repeatedly, that might be a sign of stress or fear. I've never kept figure-8s, and can't really comment on the suitability or otherwise of a 3-foot aquarium for three specimens. But I'd certainly consider the possibility that one of the puffers is being attacked and feels threatened by the other fish in the tank. Look out for signs of fin damage, for example, and act accordingly.

Cheers,

Neale

When you said your F8s are in a 3' tank, it is the length of tank, right? Not 3 cubic feet in volume? If it is the length of the tank, you have a bigger tank than mine. I have 3 F8s in a 29 gallon tank and they seems to have enough space. Reading through forums and everyone seems to agree on 10 gallon per fish as full grown F8s are about 3 inches in length. My 3 F8s fight all the time during feeding time but I never saw them puff up. What other fishes are there in your tank? I'm wondering if any other fishes in the tank pose a threat so your F8 puffed up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back