My Planted Tank Journal

cuprajake

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey guy's

ive had a thread running, basically to just get info together for my new planted tank.

the tank:

42.5" x 20.5" x 14"

giving roughly 51 us gallons.

the filters:

penn-plax cascade 1000 external filter
fluval 2+ internal filter

heres the tank

DSC00958.jpg

the filter and bits and bobs

DSC00899.jpg

note, i got the tank and all bits second hand for £50 so not to bad,

the fluval is from my current setup.

here is where the tank is going to be placed

DSC00984.jpg

as for lighting, i've decided upon

2 x growlux t8 30wtt tubes 30" long
2 x t5 highlight 39wtt tubes 36" long

giving me a total of 138 wtts = 2.76 wpg

these are my home made lighting bars/reflectors

DSC00977.jpg

DSC00978.jpg

im going for a bog wood and highly planted look, to achieve this i have a tetraplant sustrate, but im still out as to wether to use sand gravel or a mix. im also using a co2 presurised setup which should arrive soon, its a 10litre co2 bottle so should last ages.

plant wise im looking at green lines for a good bunch of hardy quick growing plants, but wont count out the lfs.

any tips or question please fire away,

im particularly looking forward to the aquascaping bit,

jake

Should be good. :nod:

You could have a layer of some fine quartz on top of the Tetra substrate and maybe some sand at the front. it's nice to see a larger planted tank journal, recently it's all been nanos. :good:

Cheers,
Mike

the substrate is what concerns me, im not sure to get sand(silica) or fine quartz im not sure, i know i'll need alot ;)

i mite grade it, use up the gravels i have left from previous tansk then use a nice new one, wheres the best place to get the sands from onn the cheap, this tanks starting to cost an arm&leg hahahaha

my next mission is to track down some fine looking fast growing plants,

jake

well cut the tank into the wall this aft, took about 2hrs to do so not to bad, always helps when you have a willing dad who knows his stuff.

heres a few pics of the process:

the rear of the wall
DSC01000.jpg

the peice removed
DSC01001.jpg

the whole
DSC01002.jpg

the support bench
DSC01003.jpg

done bar trim
DSC01004.jpg

all thats left now is to do a little bit of polyfilling or i put a picture frame style trim around the tank.

A tank in the wall!! I've always wanted to do that! :drool:

Can't wait to see how the tank turns out... :D

cheers should look really good, once everything is in there

Good so far, the tank should look excelent in the wall. :good:
I see you also bought some dry ferts, the same as I have, they're pretty good.

i mite grade it, use up the gravels i have left from previous tansk then use a nice new one, wheres the best place to get the sands from onn the cheap, this tanks starting to cost an arm&leg hahahaha

Silica sand can be purchased very cheaply at any garden store, a large bag may cost around £3.00. You can also use play sand which is normally less bright.

im in two minds, ha ha

i dont want dead fine sand and i dont want huge gravel, im after some sort of crushed stone chippings, i'll keep looking, my only concern is poluting the water with a non-aquarium stone.

had a little mess when i got home, put the tetraplant substrate in, then i put in some of the gravels i had left over from previous, aswell as the gravel that came with the tank, (it was new in a bag)

here are some more piccies

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

Thats looking great! Now all you have to do is keep the cupboard under the stairs tidy at all times :crazy: :)

How did you make the home made hood/lighting if you don't mind me asking. Is it a lighting fixture that you've managed to modify?

it white guttering, and end caps lol

the guy in the fish shop does it and suggested it to me, tbh i will have to do a little cutting so i can fit the filter pipes in, but houldn't be a problem,

the inly problem im having is decifering which chemical is which

what is the names for?

kn03= mono potassium phosphat

and

kp04=potassium nitrate

jake

here's my beast of a c02 tank,

DSC01014.jpg

and here is my silica sand

DSC01015.jpg

i hope to get the tank filled tonight but you never know, i may wait and do it all together with the planting,

jake

oh man i'v always wanted to do that to one of my tanks but my mom would freak out on me :p i think i might have to try it :D

Most reactions

Back