My Planned Nano (mantis)

Hi fella,

Just wondered where you got all your hardware and live rock from as i live in nottingham and my girlfriend lives in Milton Keynes.

Thanks Richard

Can't comment on that kit, never used it. Aiptasia for sure and the bivalve should be fine. Bristleworms should be fine. The only time they're a detriment is if they get aggressive during feeding and out-compete other organisms for food. If you can, I'd get another powerhead before you leave for vacation just to stir things up and allow the LR to complete your cycle. Will also set you up long-term for corals.

Longterm, make sure you gravel vac that crushed coral every time you waterchange to keep detritus to a minimum there. Dont want a septic substrate :)

Hi fella,

Just wondered where you got all your hardware and live rock from as i live in nottingham and my girlfriend lives in Milton Keynes.

Thanks Richard

In Nottingham the 2 stores I have used are

"The aquatic center" and "East midlands aquatic center". Confusing eh? im not sure if they're correct names, but one is based in trowell, the other based in bulcote. Both are on the PFK website. If I had the choice though, I would definitely 100% shop at Wharf Aquatics in pinxton.

If I were shopping in milton keynes I'd use the Maidenhead aquatics store in Woburn Sands for sure.

Can't comment on that kit, never used it. Aiptasia for sure and the bivalve should be fine. Bristleworms should be fine. The only time they're a detriment is if they get aggressive during feeding and out-compete other organisms for food. If you can, I'd get another powerhead before you leave for vacation just to stir things up and allow the LR to complete your cycle. Will also set you up long-term for corals.

Longterm, make sure you gravel vac that crushed coral every time you waterchange to keep detritus to a minimum there. Dont want a septic substrate

The tank itself is a simple 22g, and I've fitted the T5 into the juwel hood by removing the other light fitting (I also made it a lot light by removing the ballast from the hood for the flourescent tube too).

Is there any Bi-valve info on the net? As in, could I ID it? I'm guessing there are thousands of types though, I'm just being picky.

I'll see what I can do about the powerhead, but it's looking unlikely to be honest.

Your paying 30 POund for a Mantis shrimp! :eek: Look around google for "UK Reef Clubs" or "UK Reef Forums". Finding local societies you might be able to find reefers giving away their pesky crustaceans! :p

I'll see what I can do about the powerhead, but it's looking unlikely to be honest.

Seems like I spoke too soon!

A good friend donated me a Mp900 maxijet (rated for 920 lph) and I've swapped out the 400 for it. The tank looks much better now, it's surprising what a difference a powerhead makes to the waters appearance!

Miagi, I'm hunting out Mantis Shrimps to no avail. I've found an online dealer though - http://www.cyberaquatics.com/cyber/Livestock/Inverts.html

2 species as well. The smaller species sounds interesting. I also have a pseudosquilla on hold for me at an LFS nearby, so he is the prime candidate of course (if they can hold him for long enough!).

So, what do people do regarding skimmers on 20g tanks? What can they do? Is it necessary? I'm assuming small frequent water changes would be good enough?

Also, if you wanna see something really weird check this out -

DSCN1981.jpg

here's the little bi-valve thing on the coral sand.

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

And here it is on the front glass!! The weirdest thing is, you can't see a foot like a snail would have or anything. It's a miracle.

After reading this post one thing I can help you with is that a possible heater would be the Visi-Therm Stealth - they claim its indestructable, its black plastic instead of glass. Something to look at. Ill post more when my tank is up.

After reading this post one thing I can help you with is that a possible heater would be the Visi-Therm Stealth - they claim its indestructable, its black plastic instead of glass. Something to look at. Ill post more when my tank is up.

I considered an indestructable heater, but I think I will be able to use a a heater with 2 guards on it. I can't imagine there would be much want for a mantis to smash a heater.

why wouldnt you want to use the one that doesnt break, esp when the cost is virtually the same?

So, stats today are

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate 5

I have a very brown tank at the moment (ugh), but, it's ready for the mantis I think. The increased powerhead must have really helped!

a bit off the point but i am travelling and went diving in na trang a couple of days ago and saw these in the wild !!!

If you've got a lot of diatoms in there you might want to toss in a cheap snail or hermit before you get the mantis. I know they'll become food for him eventually, but they will clean up all those unsightly brown diatoms :D

So, I added a turbo snail to the tank. AND THE MANTIS!

DSCN2097.jpg

DSCN2096.jpg

DSCN2089.jpg

DSCN2093.jpg

DSCN2091.jpg

He's settling in at the moment. Might try a feed a bit later. That's if he doesn't eat the turbo snail.

Wow thats a cool lookin mantis shrim. I almoast want to turn my 10g into a mantis nano now :D

Most reactions

Back