My New Project For A Local Charity.

check with your water company for Gh value (general hardness) or if you have a Gh test kit check it to see if your water is hard or soft. Guppies do better in hard water
If the water is soft you'd do better looking at tetra's or harlequins ... something down those lines .... 

Day 1 of rebuild of tank.

All the fish went to LFS to be re homed.

I took everything out washed the gravel, scrubbed the tank, Added drift wood cleaned out the filter, I did not touch the media trays other than to rinse them with old tank water to save the bacteria.

bj71p3.jpg

1zbfbwl.jpg

nn15pz.jpg

LFS tells me water is hard and male guppies will do fine.

Next some real plants.

Looking nice
good.gif

I was hoping you would change the stocking, moody cichlids don't exactly suit a kind charity :lol:

Stocking Plan.
30 fancy male guppies.
12 Cherry shrimp.
4 snails.

And lots of plants.

I don't know much about Uv lights so I can't help there but I just wanted to say it's a good idea with a large tank to run two filters - it's how my 4ft runs. I clean mine alternately so that if I happen to accidently over clean one the other is picking up the slack while the freshly cleaned one gets back in line. 

The tank is looking good so far and I'm pleased that your water is good for the guppies that you wanted. What type of snails were you thinking of?

What type of snails were you thinking of?
Something like this.

https://www.livefish.com.au/gold-mystery-snail-deal.html

it's a good idea with a large tank to run two filters
Cool.

I don't know much about Uv lights so I can't help there
No problem, I ordered the 1 with the UV light its only a few dollars more, And if its not needed I can always turn the light off.

UV rays in the filter kill harmful bacteria as well as water born algae is destroyed resulting in a happier healthier aquarium that is crystal clear
I guess that cant be a bad thing, As all the good bacteria lives in the filter anyway. ( and on glass and rocks and driftwood ) so killing any water borne bacteria and vriuses might be ok.

I know if you have to add meds to a tank it always says on the bottle to switch off uv sterilizers so that makes sense.

As for the snail ... I've had two purple one's of those and they're excellant snails - although I've heard of the golden version being a plant eater. My two were fine, they just cleaned the plants and left them intact. Sadly they are now banned in the EU so I can't get another
sad.png

I have two of these instead and they're just as cool

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/post/the-zebra-nerite-snail

Day 2 added some plants more plants to come. New lighting on the way.
2mp9y1l.jpg

I will see if LFS has those snails.

nerites will lay eggs all over the place but the eggs only hatch in brackish water so you could add a few and not get any additions appearing in the tank - unless you go Brackish that is
biggrin.png

I am still open to ideas on fish.
Snails on order.

you could go with a mixture of fish ... just research first to see what will like your hard water :) 

I added a frame around the tank.
6if97a.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back