My Nano Journal!

hi guys! rite ive mixed my water and my tank is cycling with live sand only at this moment in time, so im going to get some live rock tomorrow. what is a decent amount to get? 2kg or more? thanks in advance summat fishy :D

hi guys! rite i have set up my tank, my salanity is reading correctly, and i have added pure live sand ( from caribsea) to the bottom of the aquarium. i let that run and clear up for three days and have bought a small chunk of live rock yesterday which is now situated in the aquarium. the piece of rock has loads of life on it, with slight purple algae on it, and green lumps on the other side, and have seen some small " sand hopper" shrimps within the rock already. i took some readings this morning and they are as follows:

Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm * any advice on how to get this down would be much appreciated)
PH: 8.2

ammonia: havnt had chance to yet.

ive got my filter tuned on and have a sponge and carbon carterage in there at the moment, with a small bag of live sand and was wondering is this sufficiant enough if i add several more pieces of live rock and if not, what else will i have to add. glax stone? the heater you can see in the pics is only temperary until i get a plug adapter for my other one. do i need to add any food into the aquarium for the live rock? as in for the life on it? how long should it be before algae groth and i can introduce my CUC? im very patient, just interested. anyway guys, a thread is useless without pics IMO, so here we have some! :D

ps: how do you guys do a water change?

The tank is looking good man. Your filtration is sufficient for now, I personally would add much more live rock. Also, is that a cover on the tank? Be careful not to trap gases in there. I know evaporation is a ***** but it could affect your pH along with a lot of other variables.

"Evaporation is a *****" I like that! But it is so true. Some more rock is a good idea. To preform a water change take a hose fill the hose with water( make sure there is no air bubbles in the tube) put your thumb over the hole in the hose that goes into the bucket fill the bucket up with water (make sure not to empty out to much water because you might not have enough to refill the tank. Then repeat the process to refill the aquarium. But you can also suck on one side of the hose instead of using your thumb to hold the water in.

hi guys! rite i have set up my tank, my salanity is reading correctly,

Unless you are TRULY talking about salinity, I think you mean specific gravity. SH

hi guys! rite i have set up my tank, my salanity is reading correctly,

Unless you are TRULY talking about salinity, I think you mean specific gravity. SH

sorry yes i mean specific gravity, thanks for all the comments people i certainly will get much more live rock and when i perform my water chanbge do i mix a salt mix up in a bucket and replace the water im taking out with salt water? thanks in advance summat fishy :)

For the water change... Get a bucket with a small heater and a powerhead for mixing. Add RO water and salt. Once the SG and temp are correct you can siphon out the water from your tank and replace it with your fresh SW.

The tank is looking good man. Your filtration is sufficient for now, I personally would add much more live rock. Also, is that a cover on the tank? Be careful not to trap gases in there. I know evaporation is a ***** but it could affect your pH along with a lot of other variables.

yes that is a cover you can see on the tank, and thanks for your concern but tehre is a reasonable gap to let gases out etc. do i need to feed the live rock anything or should it be ok until my tank has cycled? also what corals can i keep with my lighting? and what would i feed them. thanks in advance summat fishy :)

Live rock doesnt really need to be fed as it usually has enough die off to process. You can feed it and it may help. I wouldnt keep anything with that lighting but if you do it certainly cant be anything too demanding...you could get away with mushrooms and probably zoas. Neither of which really require any feeding outside of photosynthesis. You could get corals that do not photosynthesize such as sun corals but those are pretty difficult and require a lot of time...just because there is fairly precise almost daily feeding required.

Live rock doesnt really need to be fed as it usually has enough die off to process. You can feed it and it may help. I wouldnt keep anything with that lighting but if you do it certainly cant be anything too demanding...you could get away with mushrooms and probably zoas. Neither of which really require any feeding outside of photosynthesis. You could get corals that do not photosynthesize such as sun corals but those are pretty difficult and require a lot of time...just because there is fairly precise almost daily feeding required.

thanks for that, i think i will stick to mushrooms until i can find a small enough halide unit! just out of interest, how long does it normally take for purple algae to grow? as there is no signs of it yet 2 weeks on, and really want to add my clean up crew! thanks in advance summat fihsy :)

errr...what do you mean by purple algae? If you mean coralline then it can take anywhere from two-three weeks to two-three months...just kind of depends, you may notice growth on your rocks immediately but may not see growth on the tank walls for several months. You're CUC wont eat coralline though, you're adding them to take care of detrius, green algaes, cyano bacteria, uneaten food, different forms of waste and nuisance nutrient exports. You can add them as soon as your water conditions are fit, if there is not enough algae growth on the substrate and rocks then you can supplement their diet with most fish foods.

Most reactions

Back