My Guppy Fry Journal

Gorgeous! My fry always seem to get out of the fry trap when they are new born.. :grr: So I set up their own little 30l tank instead, they are thriving! Got 15 healthy platy fry! :p

Aww that's good :D I wish I had room for another tank but I dont :(

Don't feel too bad Ny28, this is why i'm so glad I found some strong wild strain fishes !

Gorgeous! My fry always seem to get out of the fry trap when they are new born.. :grr: So I set up their own little 30l tank instead, they are thriving! Got 15 healthy platy fry! :p

Aww that's good :D I wish I had room for another tank but I dont :(

I'm 14 so I'm still with my parents, I cram all of my tanks into my room! If I need another tank, I WILL. FIND. SPACE. :lol:

Double post - I'll fill this one with unnecessary emoticons:
:hey:
:eek:sama:
:alien:
:ninja:
:devil:
:wizard:
:santa:
:band:
:drink:

LOL! My flats too small to justify another tank. Clearing the old stuff out to make way for the christmas hoard haha!

LOL! My flats too small to justify another tank. Clearing the old stuff out to make way for the christmas hoard haha!

Oh God, we have started getting the christmas catalogues in the post already! :grr:

Oh God, we have started getting the christmas catalogues in the post already! :grr:

I started my christmas shopping last month and have things wrapped under the bed :blush: haha!

So here is my lone platy fry. He has gotten some size already and is actively swimming about instead of sitting at the bottom!

DSC01637-1.jpg

DSC01636-1.jpg

DSC01634-1.jpg

I don't know why I only end up with 1 or 2 fry. I don't understand how folk can get overstocked-is it because I don't trap the females? I think I have adequate hiding places.

DSC01639-1.jpg

another full tank shot
DSC01638-1.jpg

Or maybe I haven't seen them as they are hiding? I really doubt there are any more-why would 1 come out to explore and not the rest?

Your platies are lovely red colour. Very nice!!!. Some of the fry hide really well and never come out but the adults could be too fast eating them when they are just born and can't swim away from the danger which is the first few hours to 24 hours maybe. You can try getting one of those bushy silk plants that look like hornwort, or even live hornwort. I used to have it when my platies were giving birth and during water changes a whole cloud of babies would emerge out of it. You also have sand at the bottom, so they can't hide. Mine use to hide in between the gravel stones too. You can put a few pebbles somewhere in the tank to make up tiny little caves for them. They'll hide there.

Thanks Snazy. Shame about the algae on the tank wall (even though I have a million MTS) and my holey plants!-I don't know if I can continue the fertiliser with the baby being there.
I was careful not to disturb that "pot" which you can just about see in the pics of the tank,it's strategically placed in the middle of the plants for coverage. It's a decent size and I put it there for the mama to have her fry and she was inside there as I had predicted. It's very dark in there so I haven't had a look but I would imagine i'd seen any more by now.
I think I know the silk plants you are on about-the little pretty bushes that are for the biorb? I really despise fake plants but that could be a very good idea. Shame it's about £15 for the big pink one and the small blue one! I will check for an alternative.
I have 10 red pebbles which are the feng shui ones for the biorb-they are so pretty lol.

Thanks Snazy. Shame about the algae on the tank wall (even though I have a million MTS) and my holey plants!-I don't know if I can continue the fertiliser with the baby being there.
I was careful not to disturb that "pot" which you can just about see in the pics of the tank,it's strategically placed in the middle of the plants for coverage. It's a decent size and I put it there for the mama to have her fry and she was inside there as I had predicted. It's very dark in there so I haven't had a look but I would imagine i'd seen any more by now.
I think I know the silk plants you are on about-the little pretty bushes that are for the biorb? I really despise fake plants but that could be a very good idea. Shame it's about £15 for the big pink one and the small blue one! I will check for an alternative.
I have 10 red pebbles which are the feng shui ones for the biorb-they are so pretty lol.

I hate plastic plants, but the silk ones worked great for me for fry. I'd always go for real ones though.

I hate plastic plants, but the silk ones worked great for me for fry. I'd always go for real ones though.

I have seen lovely silk ones on ebay but from hong kong and the like. I will need to have another look.

Today I noticed my female guppies looking huge. One of them especially has squared off and has her birthing tube visible. It's been there since yesterday so I am thinking it might be tonight :hyper:

Today I noticed my female guppies looking huge. One of them especially has squared off and has her birthing tube visible. It's been there since yesterday so I am thinking it might be tonight :hyper:

Woo!

A little video I made of my platy fry, thought you might be interested :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC6pq517Xaw&feature=g-upl

They are growing like weeds! Greedy little things they are!

:lol:

oh my goodness they are so cute! You have some very nice colours too! Mine is growing quick too although he's only a few days old! Still to figure out that the food comes from the top of the trap but otherwise he's scavenging about like the other platies lol.

Has your guppy had her fry yet? if not she must be enormous :crazy:

Most reactions

Back