My Friendly Betta Is Very Sad

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tetraqueen

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My Betta was invaded xmas eve as my middle tank got accidently broken.
I therfore had to keep the fish I had alive and as two oscars were in the large tank they had to go in with the Betta in the eleven gallon.

I have changed things around and bought Betta a bowl on his own about three weeks ago and he is so sad...when he was with the other he swam he watched he ate and the water never ever smelt. Now despite changing the water its smells really bad.

Should I reintroduce him to the other tank or can I do anything to help him. His finnage is perfect he is just lifeless and extremely sad. He used to love blood worms and I had to remove those. I had pink Betta food and well thats no use either as it just sinks.
Usually he was greedy and ate twice a day. He is still not skinny. He used to play with a CD and flash now I am pleased if he moves he can appear to be dead.

Please any ideas what to do will be appreciated.

the water smells coz its going stagnant, use a pump and airstone in his bowl, keep the air flow relatively low and you only need to do this for a mabet 10 mins eachday, just to cirulate the water a bit and keep it from going stagnant.

is his bowl heated? if not get a small heater to keep the temperature warm and stable.

how often are you changing the water? needs to be done twice a week if the bowl is large and for very small bowls, dialy.

are you treating the water and alowing it to stand or warming it a little?

does he have plants and things to explore?

you could show him a mirror for a whiel each day to perk him up and give him some nice live wriggly bloodworms

From what you said about the water smelling bad, it is probably the water quality that is affecting him rather than the lack of company. How big is the bowl and how often are you changing the water? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH? Is there anything else in the bowl that could be affecting the water quality, such as rotten food, dying plants etc?
What temp is the water and do you have any filter or airstone or anything?

I would keep him away from the oscars, that could be an issue, and the oscars will need a bigger tank. However, if your betta is going to have tankmates, perhaps cory cats would keep him happy. But yeah, take care of the water first.

If you show him a mirror and he doesn't react there is something wrong with him. Crystal clean water is a must, can you not put him near the other tank? My boys sulk if they cant see each other. They have a flare now and then but like to be in a busy place :good:

He has good water quality . Changed Daily and a heater and the bowl takes 10 litres. I always use Aquasafe but he has no Airstone or filter as I was told no currant .

LOL nothing is with the OScars they would eat them.

He was with the Corys and Platties but on here I was told that was bad.

I'll try the airstone and I'll give him until tommorrow lunchtime if not he will go back with the others . The tank is in my bedroom and precious little room.

each male is different, platties CAN be fine, but a careful eye must be kept, first sign of aggression and remove him.

betta prefer no current, but a gentle gurrent will do them no harm, and the circulation an airstone will provide wont bother them at all

Well he's had the works again today and the water is perfect at the moment and I have added the air stone however its fierce and he coward in the plants.

My daughter thinks he is lovesick for the corydoras as she said he used to watch them scurry around and follow them.

I guess I need to get another middle sized tank but I am scared as my son lifted a bamboo log and dropped it from the top of the tank and the bottom cracked. It is impossible to be with him all the time.

It's strange that the water smells bad if it is getting changed daily, and 10 litres sounds like a decent size. What dechlorinator do you use? I ask because I use Prime and that stuff stinks, so it could be that (if you use it) that is making the water smell bad.

I think he is very lonely and unhappy. My husband said it could be that he does not like the smell of the washing as the fabric conditioner is strong and he could be sick as a result. It's difficult getting the bowl away from drafts and children running around as they do. He is a bit happier now I have moved him to the kitchen however I am considering moving him back and thinking of finding the Oscars a new home. I really need less tanks not more and I like the cory's, platty's and neons best and would like some bristle nose plecs.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back