My fish are dying...

jvis0606

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi.. I have had my tank for 8 months now, fully cycled and everything was going well. Last time I added fish was a couple of months ago. Added two blue gourami and a couple female platy.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have had 4-5 fish deaths!! Worse yet I have no idea why. I admit I haven't taken the ph levels, but I tested for Ammonia and Nitrates and those levels are fine. There are no signs of disease... no spots, no bulging eyes, nothing weird on the fins or scales. Their poop is stringy, I will say that. And a couple of days ago I saw 1 or 2 flick themselves. But otherwise they seem fine.. except they don't have much of an appetite.

I can't figure out what is wrong, so I don't know how to treat it!! Help!

The sudden death of many fish over a short period of time with few preceding symptoms. Surviving fish hang around the water surface / stay on the bottom and may lose equilibrium. They are lethargic and don't eat.

Cause
1) Acute poisoning. Water should be tested for core parameters and fish examined for signs of severe parasite or bacterial infection. carry out a 75% or more water change on the presumption of some (as yet, unknown) toxin. Send water sample away for toxicology testing.

2) Low dissolved oxygen levels.

3) Peracute bacterial disease.

:p Test ALL parameters (you missed nitrItes), check pH and temp. as well.
Treat for internal parasites for the stringy poop and ick/velvet for the flicking.
Do lots of large partial water changes.

Sounds like internal parasites to me. No expert though>

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back