My first tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adz2332

Reaction score
Started tonight
Ran out of gravel ... 20kgs of iron sand wasnt enough. Used kgs of heavier quartz gravel. Wish i hadnt but im sure itll end up sinking correct?
Put in an aqual fan 2 filter and aqual easy heater. And plant LED light
Its as far as ive got tonight.
Will go plant shopping tomorrow. Its pretty bare. Hopefully cover the filter etc. How close can u plant to the filter?
Also going to add a black background

Attachments

• 20170628_172916.jpg
    20170628_172916.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
  • 20170628_181340.jpg
    20170628_181340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 275
Nice.

Looks like a standard 10 gallon / 40 litre tank?

A black background is a good idea, helps to make plants and fish colours stand out a little more, though with black gravel, can make the tank seem quite dark but still looks good.

What are the plans with this tank? lots of plants, or fake plants perhaps?

Going to ask if you plan to do a fishless cycle on this tank and filter?
Means to get good bacterial colony growing so they can deal with the ammonia waste which all livestock create and breathe 24/7.

If you're unsure what I mean, here is an article with more details and how to start a fishless cycle - Cycle Your First Tank

Also whilst doing a fishlss cycle, its a good idea to see what your tap water parameters are, like pH, gH and kH, all of these have a bearing on what fish species would be suitable for your tank. You can test for all of these, or your LFS may test them for a small fee or you can look up your local water authority website and look up water quaility or similar, that should have all sort of tests and average readings, if you're not sure, simply take a screenshot and post it up here, we'll help out.

This is fairly important in determing what you can keep in your water paraemeters as for example, you have soft water, then thats ideal for most species of tetras and coryadoras, but if you have hard water then fish such as rainbowfish will thrive in hard water, each specie will not cope well for long living in waters thats not suitable for them.

That should be a good start in your research :)

I appreciate getting the above info. I have been using my ten-gallon aquarium last 5 years and it has been giving the best activities. I do not cycle it regularly, but one in a week I cycled and recently I have bought a canister filter, which is working superbly. This is the best for my 10-gallon aquarium.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back