My Cycling Journal

Eek keep a keen eye on the Ph, too low and you might stall! Dont think you would be too happy with stalling after all this :p

Eek keep a keen eye on the Ph, too low and you might stall! Dont think you would be too happy with stalling after all this :p

I know, 6.0 is the lowest my test kit will go too so might be below that. See if things change in the morning. If not then a water change.

I know, 6.0 is the lowest my test kit will go too so might be below that. See if things change in the morning. If not then a water change.

At this point, I would throw in a spoon full of baking soda, aka sodium bicarbonate, to rais the KH, and thus the pH back to a reasonable value, to save the waterchange :good: It is harmless to fish, and fiter bactiria, I have used it in the past to alter water chemistory for fish breeding projects :hyper:
HTH, and saved a little work
Rabbut

Thanks for the reply Rabbut. I don't have any of that in but will get some for next time.
I carried out a 45ltr water change this morning after testing the values of Ammonia and Nitrite and neither had seemed to have changed over night.
See what this evening brings when I test the waters although will have expected the values to have dropped due to the water change.

Hi Clark, I think Rabbut might have a point high Nitrate levels are adicic and since your water is probbaly the same as mine (PH 7 KH 3) it has probbaly lowered the PH very low. >6

I think the The Nitrogen cycle is less effective at a lower PH, could be why it`s slow.

If you need a hand let me know.

Hi Clark, I think Rabbut might have a point high Nitrate levels are adicic and since your water is probbaly the same as mine (PH 7 KH 3) it has probbaly lowered the PH very low. >6

I think the The Nitrogen cycle is less effective at a lower PH, could be why it`s slow.

If you need a hand let me know.

Nitrate can also act to lower GH, further adding to problems. OP, GH holds your pH on a stable fixed value, so as the large amount of nitrates build up, the GH lowers, and the pH closely follows. To prevent a pH crash and cycle stall, you need to add hardness to the water, to keep the pH above 6, preferable above 7. The easyest way I have found to do this is to add Bicarbonate of soda. Waterchanges are an option, but they can slow a cycle due to the fact that ammonia and nitrite are reduced. Ammonia is not a problem, as you can add more, but nirtite cannot be "topped up".
HTH
rabbut

Thanks guys for your help. Even after the water change this morning the pH remained at or below 6.0. Tomorrow, I'll go out and get some bicarbonate of soda, bit too late now to goto the 24 tescos! How much of bicarb should I add? Even then would that raise the pH back up or would it be another water change to get it to pH7 and then add the bicarb?

I have also got...
Ammonia of either 0.25-0.5: added more now so back upto 4.0
Nitrite 2

The API test for Nitrite goes purple at the bottom of the tube when I put the drops in. Then after the five minutes it goes to the colour for 2.0. Would/should there have been any change of Nitrite yet?

Plus these blooming Planeria or something are getting annoying. They're big enough to see now, rather than white specs they're little worm things. Will they go then I do a water change or will they get eaten by the fish?

Plus these blooming Planeria or something are getting annoying. They're big enough to see now, rather than white specs they're little worm things. Will they go then I do a water change or will they get eaten by the fish?

mine went at about the same time as my nitrites started to be processed :good:

The planaria will eventualy die off. The time when, varies from tank to tank. I would just add the bicarbonate of soda strait to the tank, no water change required. The ammount you need to add, you guessed it, varies form tank to tank. Add a teaspoon full at a time, testing the pH between each teaspoon, half an hour after adding, and guage from there how many are required. Don't worry about going over target with pH, as it is not too critical to get it exact in this application.
I believe the purple-ness at the bottom of the test tube for nitrite on the API test shows that the nitrites are off the scale still. I don't use this kit though, so you need to get someone else to confirm this.
HTH
rabbut

The planaria will eventualy die off. The time when, varies from tank to tank. I would just add the bicarbonate of soda strait to the tank, no water change required. The ammount you need to add, you guessed it, varies form tank to tank. Add a teaspoon full at a time, testing the pH between each teaspoon, half an hour after adding, and guage from there how many are required. Don't worry about going over target with pH, as it is not too critical to get it exact in this application.
I believe the purple-ness at the bottom of the test tube for nitrite on the API test shows that the nitrites are off the scale still. I don't use this kit though, so you need to get someone else to confirm this.
HTH
rabbut

Ah right, so the bicarb will also increase the pH?

Very good post. I am also in process of doing a fishless cycle with ammonia. i got nitrite after 2 days (quick)

Ammonia not dropping for me so i will chk my P.H

Hope everything continues well for you.

P.S Mines is also going to be a tiger barb tank (planted)

Thanks

Zoe

Added some bicarb of soda and upped the pH to 7.4

Ammonia reads about 2 or 4. can't tell the difference So not added anything
Nitrite same reading of 2.

Nitrate can also act to lower GH, further adding to problems. OP, GH holds your pH on a stable fixed value, so as the large amount of nitrates build up, the GH lowers, and the pH closely follows. To prevent a pH crash and cycle stall, you need to add hardness to the water, to keep the pH above 6, preferable above 7. The easyest way I have found to do this is to add Bicarbonate of soda. Waterchanges are an option, but they can slow a cycle due to the fact that ammonia and nitrite are reduced. Ammonia is not a problem, as you can add more, but nirtite cannot be "topped up".
HTH
rabbut

Hi Rabbut , I think your getting your KH and GH mixed up.
This might help. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/water_chemistry.php

Most reactions

Back