My Colors are dull

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IluvChiclids

Reaction score
I have several awesome chiclids in a 55gl. Their colors are not done justice, like my jewell chiclids dont show their red very well, At the pet shop on the other hand their red dorsal fins and tails are what attracted me to them. Any Ideas? :S

I know that there are some special cichlid foods that enhance the color. I am not sure what they were called. But I am sure you can goto your local pet store and ask them and they can tell you what it is.

-Chris

Try some color enhancing products from Hikari.

What color is your gravel? Light colored gravel washes the color from fish, imo.

Also, if they are stressed form water params or just added to the tank, they will be less colorful. (Not saying any of this is what is wrong with your fish, just adding what some of the causes might be)

NLS, frozen and live foods. These are the main things i feed my fish to keep coloring good, and give them that lil push to get things goin breedin wise ;) :lol:

-matt

Also check your lighting - yellowish lighting tends to dull fish colours. Most pet stores have blueish lighting, which enhances the colours and is more "ocean-like".

I find feeding coloured invertebrates like bloodworms and brine shrimp can enhance colour.

WHEN I STARTED FEEDIN BLOOD WORMS THE COLOURS IN MY FISH BLOSSOMED

same experince here when I started feeding live mosquito larvae to my Mbuna not only did their color get a huge boost but so did their reprodution

Recently I moved 11 Malawi Africans from my 40G to a new 75G and their colors just exploded. Im using white sand and lots of red lava rock in my 75 and these guys look like different fish. Happier I guess.

lol zman that's bout doublt in size they were prob. super happy to have all this new room!!! but i will add white sand does bring out the colors in fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back