My Co2 Is Apparently Too High

daizeUK said:

As you are not adding CO2, I would use a prepared liquid fertilizer.

Just wanted to point out that he is planning on adding a yeast CO2 setup, in case that changes your advice.

Thanks, yes it might.  Obviously, with added CO2 one has to increase the other nutrients to balance.  While the preparations mentioned can work, they are not really intended for high-tech and most with this go to dry mixes.

Gvilleguy, with the plants so far mentioned, CO2 isn't needed, and in the interests of keeping things simpler it might not be advisable.  I've never added CO2 in any of my tanks, like the one in that photo.  I've worked out that the light duration of eight hours daily balances the natural CO2 in the tanks.

Byron.

Yes after learning more about CO2 on this thread, I decided I will not go with the CO2 injection at this time. I will instead implement the better configuration of ferts and see how things go for the next few weeks. And as for the drop checker, I will just ignore it for now. I'm using the solution that came with the device, but am wondering if it is not good quality. Not going to worry about it yet.

Gvilleguy said:
Byron, here is a quick video I uploaded to dropbox, in case it changes any recommendations you have made. I have the ferts on order from Amazon...should be able to start feeding the plants on Monday.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h41ebguq8iaepw/MVI_6255.MOV?dl=0

Plants are looking OK to me.  The swords you said were added just this week, so they would not be showing nutrient issues yet, and Java Fern and moss being such slow growers [= low nutrient requirements] are not likely to show nutrient issues unless severe.  So, things look much as I would expect at this point.  The fertilizers will help keep things looking good.

Byron.

Byron, I dosed Flourish Comp on Monday - I was surprised per the instructions to only add 3.5 ml for my 40 gallon. I then dosed Flourish Trace at 10 ml per 40 gallons. The instructions said since I was using Flourish, to do Trace the following day. So that's what I did so far. If you think it's okay to do them at the same time I would prefer to do all at once. You said you always just add them all during your weekly cleanings.

I have not yet purchased Seachem Equilibrium, but I will search for it this week. I would like to raise the GH levels.

Byron, thanks for all the advice. Extremely helpful. Did not realize my soft water would hamper plant growth so much. Today I did my weekly cleaning and dosed Flourish, Trace, and Equilibrium. This was the second dose of F and T, and first dose of Equilibrium. Will keep treating weekly and let it go for 3 weeks and re-evaluate. Black brush algae is still present, of course, but it is not as bad as it was several weeks ago.

I will test my GH shortly to see if I am around 5.

Most reactions

Back