My 7 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Algae Nibbler

Reaction score
My 7 gallon tank has 3 zebra danios, one platy, and one siamese algae eater. Could I add anymore fish?

Nope! Instead you should rehome all the fish you have, because the tank is for sure too small to house them permanently ;)

There used to be a myth like rule of 1" per gallon for fish population. That's sort of silly. Fish that will grow large really need a large tank. And fish should never be crowded, so too many fish in a small tank is a bad thing. Also, we don't want to mix aggressive fish with timid fish that will be constantly bullied. I have a male swordtail right now that relentlessly chases any other male swordtails around/away. I guess he wants to be the sultan of the harem or tank boss. (He's not on my good side and may soon find himself at the LFS!)
Anyway, the real number of fish that any tank can support is really relative to how much constant effort (and sometimes $) YOU are willing to invest to keep a clean tank...as it largely comes down to water quality. If you feed high quality foods that result in less waste and you perform routine tank and water change maintenance, a tank can easily hold more inhabitants. If/when you slack off, even a larger tank with fewer inhabitants will soon suffer.
Now a 7g tank is on the nano side, but assuming you do the work, you might be able to add a couple more danios and/or another platty or two. But that would be max.
I'm not sure about the Siamese Algae Eater as I've never had one.

None of those species will get on very well in such a tiny tank. Zebra danios like their swimming space and prefer to be in large groups to be happy. Same for platties. Perhaps if you upgrade to something like a 20gal long you can add more danios and a few more platties but I think the algae eater needs to go. I've made the mistake in buying one before and it was a terror once it grew a couple inches. Plus these guys can get a good 6in+ so a 7gal is definitely a no-go for them.

I would rehome them all and get a betta and maybe some shrimp, you could get small tetras but in my opinion anything less then 10gallons is to small for anything but a betta.

Now there are 3 zebras and one algae eater. I know that the zebras are too hyper for my tank and the algae eater will get too big. How could I "get rid of them"(hopefully doesn't involve killing)?

http://aqadvisor.com/ this is a great website for testing your stocking, the algae eaters are great when they are young, but as it becomes older it will grow too big for your tank, it will get lazy and only eat food you put in rather than algae, and it could also try to feed off the smaller fishes slime coats.

Ring up where you got them from and tell them the situation and that they are inappropriate for the tank size, and they should take them back if they are a good shop.

My advice would be to rehome that algae eater, and to get a few more danios for a group of atleast six, that website will tell you how many you can have based on your tank and filter size, a tank of just danios is a great tank in my opinion, those fish have enough personality and energy to demand a tank of their own.

You need to take all the fish back to the shop and buy fish that are suited to your tank. They may give you store credit, they may give you nothing.

Zebra danios need a much bigger tank that you'd think from their size simply because they are such fast swimmers. Keeping them in a small tank is like expecting Usain Bolt to run properly in a 6 foot x 6 foot room. http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/
Siamese algae eaters need an even bigger tank. There are a few species sold under this name.
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-atrilimes/
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

There are very few fish that are suitable for a 7 gallon tank. Unless you have very hard tap water, the most obvious fish is a betta (Siamese fighting fish)

You are right essjay, i looked at that stocking calculator, and i wouldn't recommend danios on anything other than a temporary basis, they will outgrow that tank by a long way, you could keep a lovely betta in that tank though and it would be very happy, the other option is to get a bigger tank ;)

You could keep a Betta, or shrimp like others have said. Other options are dwarf tetras or rasboras. But only 6 of 1 species MAX. I would choose a Betta or a Shrimp tank.

Here is the stupid inch per gallon rule in action, That poor fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back