My 1St Attempt, 2Ft Planted Cube!

Normally a balance really.

I still get some plantlets. Just not too many.

A little less light maybe, a little more trace maybe :)

Rhizome plants tend to 'eat' trace.

AC

Okay thanks for the tip. As I say im starting EI next week so maybe ill slightly overose the trace to see if it works.

Cheers for the help, James

EI will already overdose the trace ;) No need to up it. Thats the philosophy of EI, add excess, remove excess, start again, add excess, remove excess, start again etc.

If there is more of everything than needed then there is no need to test or worry about that area. Concentrate then on CO2/light issues.

AC

Okay thanks, the co2 is an issue at the mo as I ran out but will be back up again next week. I have reduced the photoperiod to compensate for this. Is that the right thing to do?

On to the lighting, I think that is going to be the next issue. Im using compact t5's and as discussed previously, I am planning to move to normal t5 tubes.

James

Thats what I used to do when I went on holidays. I tended to just leave the absolute minimal light on (in that case it was dropping from 1.4WPG to 0.6WPG) and turning CO2 off. Of course no dosing either.

Never had a problem really. A bit of strange growth and straggly plants but no 'deaths'. lol

AC

Sounds like I did the right thing then. I am trying to get the tank back on the sraight and narrow so Ive just got the co2 set back up, ferts being slightly overdosed but I feel the tank is heavily planted, and overall just trying to go in the right direction.

My swords have grown a bit (to my surprise, normally they just die on me), but some leaves have gone a bit leggy. There is one which has gone a browny colour, what defiency is this? There is also one that has curled back round on itself, I believe this was the co2 defiency, is this true?

Thanks, James

EDIT: also the dwarf sag is spreading well but some leaves seem to be not doing so great. Some have gone see through and then just kind of fell apart. Anyone know what defiency this is?

Number 1 top looking tank! I hope mine will look half as good
Number 2 what is the tall plant with the single stem and staggered leaves? Middle of tank.

Number 1 top looking tank! I hope mine will look half as good
Number 2 what is the tall plant with the single stem and staggered leaves? Middle of tank.

Hey thanks, im happy with the way it has come out. Im already thinking about what I can do next once im done with project. It is so addictive!

The tall plant is Hydrocotyle Leucocephala. It is very easy to care for (can do well without co2 and ferts too), its been going crazy and ive been giving my excess to friends and family. When it goes some more ill be getting rid of some on here.

Thanks for the comments :good:

Okay guys, has anyone got any ideas for the defiencies mentioned above? I have just started dosing EI so we'll see how that goes.

Now with the lighting, it was discussed that I should switch to normal t5. What amount of light do you think would be best?

2X24w? 4X24? Different combo?

Cheers

2 x 24W different combo. 4 will be a little high IMO. 1 x pink (4ish K) and 1 x daylight (6ish K)

As for the defficiencies, probably just the CO2 and former dosing. Let the EI run for a few weeks and then look again.

AC

Okay, thanks for the input. I think ill go for the 2x24w and see how that goes, with your colour combination. Do you really think 4x24w will be too much? That'll be around 2.74wpg. I didnt think was too much in planted tanks? :blink:

Ill keep going as it is then, the defeciences do seem to be sorting themself out. I was upping the dosage on TPN+ and now doing EI. I think the kickstart of my co2 kit setup again has helped loads.

Ill get the lighting next, its on my list to do's :good:

Regards, James

Are we talking T8 or T5HO?

If the latter then 2.74WPG is quite high.

Even still with T8 1.38WPG + CO2 = grow whatever you want :) I used to have 0.9WPG + CO2 on mine. Back in the good old days of flouro lighting. lol

AC

Most reactions

Back