My 10 Gallon Tank

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello there, 

I just figured I would post some pictures of my new tank setup. It's 10 gallons, has sand as substrate and has some live plants (java moss, java fern and anubias. This is my first real attempt at setting up a fish tank. I had fish when I was a kid and I've had bettas up until a year ago but I never did it "the right way" (ie. cycling the tank, right tank size etc). 

So here are my pictures
smile.png

In the last picture you can see the tank's sole inhabitant (I hope) a teeny tiny snail I have nicknamed "Speedy". He is a really fast little guy. 

2 quick questions about Speedy, 1 will he be smart enough not to climb out of the tank? And 2 will he be able to live off of the plants?

Any questions, comments or suggestions are more than welcome
smile.png

Attachments

• SDC14930.JPG
    SDC14930.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 150
  • SDC14931.JPG
    SDC14931.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 141
  • SDC14932.JPG
    SDC14932.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 154
  • SDC14933.JPG
    SDC14933.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 145
  • SDC14934.JPG
    SDC14934.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 148
He could probably climb out, keep an eye on him.  He wont want to go out of the water for long but he might fall out.  What kind of snail is he? You might have to drop some cucumbers or fish flakes in there every once in a while. 

I think he's either a Physidae or a Lymnaeidae just from looking at the pictures on the snail guide. I just hope he survives the cycle, he's a cute little thing. I'll have to see about getting him some food soon.

If you say he is fast i would call him a pond snail, i wouldnt worry about him climbing out, he may be able to live soley off the plants.

I would take the java ferns out of the substrate. Just like the anubias you don't want to bury the rhizome or else they'll die.

I have no idea if your snail will be fine on the plants/algae in the tank as I put food in all my tanks for the snails. 

He may or may not live through the cycle. If you have somewhere else to keep him and you really want him then I'd move him.
They are very tough though, I've had them appear in cycling tanks before and still be there after. This doesn't mean they should have to endure it though.

Ninjouzata said:
I would take the java ferns out of the substrate. Just like the anubias you don't want to bury the rhizome or else they'll die.

I have no idea if your snail will be fine on the plants/algae in the tank as I put food in all my tanks for the snails. 

He may or may not live through the cycle. If you have somewhere else to keep him and you really want him then I'd move him.
They are very tough though, I've had them appear in cycling tanks before and still be there after. This doesn't mean they should have to endure it though.

Ok I will take the Java fern out of the substrate immediately! Thanks for catching that :) Haha. 

In terms of food I have some old betta food that I can put in for him every few days. 

And I agree with you that he shouldn't have to sit through the cycle, but I have no where else to put him :( Unless an unfiltered/unheated  "betta" tank would suffice? I guess I would have to pick the lesser of the two evils. You guys have an opinion on which is better? 

He'd be better off with algae wafers but you wouldn't need much at all. He'd eat the betta food too though..they eat pretty much anything. Good tank cleaners. :p

Hmm I think the "betta" tank would be better than having to be in a tank full of ammonia. It's also so small you can easily change the water if you want.
I have left snails in a bucket for a long time and they were fine, though I occasionally added food.

Ninjouzata said:
He'd be better off with algae wafers but you wouldn't need much at all. He'd eat the betta food too though..they eat pretty much anything. Good tank cleaners.
tongue2.gif

Hmm I think the "betta" tank would be better than having to be in a tank full of ammonia. It's also so small you can easily change the water if you want.
I have left snails in a bucket for a long time and they were fine, though I occasionally added food.

Awesome! Thanks for your help
smile.png

Update: 

While I was moving him to the "betta tank" I found an even smaller snail. Probably only a bit bigger than a pin head. So both of them are now in the small tank with a bit of java moss. Hopefully they are not the same species and will not breed :S

Update!

I'm on day 7 of my cycle and the ammonia is showing as 2 ppm and the nitrite is I believe 1 ppm. :)

I am finally going to update this thing! 

I now have a small female half moon betta and will soon be getting my catfish :).

The snails have multiplied like crazy and there is now a snail city in the "betta" tank lol. I'm just letting them do their own thing. 

Pics to come soon!

Most reactions

Back