MTS infestation and Assassin snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Someone2563

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with getting rid of MTS. I was thinking about getting assassin snails to eat them, but I read that they also reproduce quite a bit.

It depends on what else you have in the tank. I remove fish and shrimp and double dose the tank with copper sulphate. Wait a week then drain and refill the tank a few times to remove the copper. Then put the fish back.

Other will be along soon tho and they should have other ideas that might help you :)

When |I see a thread on how to eradicate/reduce small snails like Malaysian Livebearing, I always first ask "why?" These snails are you best friend in any aquarium; they can get everywhere to eat the organics, breaking it down faster for the various bacteria. They are actually a sign of a healthy tank.

If you think you have too many, consider that they will only exist so long as they have food. This can be overfeeding of fish, or overstocking fish in the tank. The "food" of these snails is everything organic that is dead, like fish excrement, fish food in excess, etc. If this is a problem, reducing the snails is not a good move.

Assassin snails are not the best answer; if these should happen to get into the natural eco-system they can eradicate the native snails to the extreme detriment of the eco-system.

It depends on what else you have in the tank. I remove fish and shrimp and double dose the tank with copper sulphate.
Yes, lets double dose copper sulphate and render the tank deadly to inverts in the future.

Leave the snails alone, once the excess food in the tank is gone they will die off to manageable numbers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back