Most Disappointing Fish?

Bugdozer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Let's hear your nominations for Most Disappointing Fish! What species do you/have you owned that has totally failed to be an interesting pet? Does it hide all the time? Does it sulk or attack all the other fish? Name and shame here...

For me, it would have to be piranha fish. They lack personality until you feed them and then, they go back to lacking personality.

For me, it would have to be piranha fish. They lack personality until you feed them and then, they go back to lacking personality.

Yes, but don't you feel like Bond villain just for owning them? :hey:

A betta that cooked itself to death, had to rescue it three times but it was too late :( Don't understand why it insisted on jamming itself behind the heater three times.

I've been really disapointed with my cardinal tetras :( i think they are gorgeous but...well they move around like my husband in a grocery store; like they aren't really sure where they're going, constantly doubling back on themselves. I need a fish that swims with purpose!

It's ok, that only made sense in my head
huh.gif

I've been really disapointed with my cardinal tetras :( i think they are gorgeous but...well they move around like my husband in a grocery store; like they aren't really sure where they're going, constantly doubling back on themselves. I need a fish that swims with purpose!

It's ok, that only made sense in my head
huh.gif

no, no, it made sense to me too, my husband does exactly the same :lol:

I would say my african featherfin catfish. He looks awesome but he always hides, I've never even seen him really eat! I never see him, and when I do hes a bully and hes pushing my pleco around. He has to be right on top of him! Like trying to hide under my pleco, I feel so bad hes annoying him constantly. :sad:

I'll probably be shouted down for this but ... rams. They're so beautiful but mine had no personality whatsoever.

I would say my african featherfin catfish. He looks awesome but he always hides, I've never even seen him really eat! I never see him, and when I do hes a bully and hes pushing my pleco around. He has to be right on top of him! Like trying to hide under my pleco, I feel so bad hes annoying him constantly. :sad:
Didyou have yours alone? I have 3 in a tank and they are very social. If you still have a featherfin, you may try upping the numbers. They are quite social in groups :)

Thanks, when i get my bigger tank i will definitely get 1 or 2 more. I think they only had one when i got him. Thanks alot :good: I guess its not him its me!

i had a pleco that basicly i never saw... was begining to think it had died but when i emptyed the tank to move home there it was in my ship wreck... might aswell of not had it to be honest lol...

I had a Tiger Botia that killed everything I put in with him. So I banished him to my outdoor pond, where he grew big and killed all the huge Comet Goldfish that were in there.

I have to agree...

Most DISAPOINTING fish ever has got to be th piranha. Bunch of boring sissy fish. I saw a trio of them bullied into hiding under a pipe in a shops sump tank... by some guppies... :blink: and all they would eat was flake and only when the lights were off, they wouldnt even eat bloodworms!

Most BORING fish ever has got to be a tie... Talking Catfish (Spotted or Striped Dora) is just a really pointless species to keep! I had mine for 3 years and it only moved when I moved it or when it inhaled and sucked food towards it occasionally... but it just sat in a corner, not even hiding... just... sitting there... for 3 years... doing nothing! I had to poke it daily to check it was alive and even then it took several pokes to be sure!

Closely tied with that is the boring, lacking in personality and beligerant Blue (or gold) Ram. Sorry for those who like Rams which is a lot... but they are boring, narky and just plain bleurgh!

I can think of a lot of dissapointing fish, guppies are a waste of time, a really pointless species that I think should just be alllowed to die out (not the species, just all the ugly colour strains with stupid unatural tails) and taken right back to wild type again. Just think... no more of these health problems because they have been inbred for hundreds of generations.

And Siamese fighters... they are ALWAYS dissapointing! I get all excited over the beautiful colours and tail types and then I get one and its the most boring fish in the world that has to rest all the time because their tails are deformed and unnaturally big!

I could happily slate all your common livebearers and neons and boring ole common fish that everyone has because they cant think outside the box :p

Most reactions

Back