moss balls

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Are moss balls moss balls (Cladophora aegagropila) good or are they a con?

• Good, do what they sat they do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Con, waste of money don't bother

• I dunno, not had/got them

• Total voters

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
I have two but I still seem to get some alge
so, your opinions please. :dunno:

I have three marimo balls, and I think they're a great addition to my tank. They don't eliminate algae, but I didn't buy them for that purpose. :thumbs:

I dunno about them eliminating algae since i wasn't having algae problems when i got them (and am not now), but i sure like them! They have such personality, rolling around the tank bottom like tribbles. The only thing i dislike is the "mulm magnet" effect, but that's not too big a deal if you squeeze them out like a filter sponge at water change time. Roll them between your palms like a ball of clay to help them maintain the round shape.

They are a very slow growing algae, i have seen claims that they will outcompete other forms of algae but i suspect that's only valid in high light tanks where they can grow as fast as possible, and maybe not then. I don't really understand how a slow growing algae could outcompete a fast growing one, but i could be wrong!

I think people call them "Moss Balls" because they would be harder to sell if the retailer said "Algae Balls" which is what they actually are. A lot of people like them and use the stuff as a carpetting. In lower energy environment tanks, you need to keep turning them in order to maintain the shape, normally wave action does that.

To me it lacks structure, I prefer something that looks more like a plant, however, whatever floats your boat, (or rolls your algae).

I have a few, and like them.

But, like Bangin, I just bought them for themselves. I've never heard that their inclusion in a tank would stop algae growth. Like luxum said, I can't see any reason to believe it would (any more than any generic plant with roughly the same surface area).

Most reactions

Back