Mosquito Larva for Bettas?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

if i can find mosquito larvae near where i live this year i will for sure try feeding them to my bettas. they are one of the natural bettas #1 food sources. bettas are designed to pick food like larvae off the surface of the water, just look at their upturned mouths for proof. ;)

buggyboutbettas said:
My answer won't change but you seem pretty certain of it, so go for it
I'm not certain at all. I just knew that your answer didn't have any value to the debate because the blood doesn't transfer the larva. :*) no offense....I say things that I don't really know much about too.
No need to be rude. I gave my opinion, I wouldn't do it. Didn't realize this was a'debate',it seemed as though you were just looking for opinions :rolleyes:

Mosquito larva is the primary source of food for the wild betta fish but that's miles away from civilization. Living in the middle of a city for example, is quite different.

hmmmm, I wonder why Hikari goes through all the trouble to triple sterilize their farm raised larva if it's as bacteria/virus/parasite free as it's said to be, what a waste of effort on their part :whistle:

IMO~ it's better to be safe than sorry

wuvmybetta said:
buggyboutbettas said:
My answer won't change but you seem pretty certain of it, so go for it
I'm not certain at all. I just knew that your answer didn't have any value to the debate because the blood doesn't transfer the larva. :*) no offense....I say things that I don't really know much about too.
No need to be rude. I gave my opinion, I wouldn't do it. Didn't realize this was a'debate',it seemed as though you were just looking for opinions :rolleyes:

Mosquito larva is the primary source of food for the wild betta fish but that's miles away from civilization. Living in the middle of a city for example, is quite different.

hmmmm, I wonder why Hikari goes through all the trouble to triple sterilize their farm raised larva if it's as bacteria/virus/parasite free as it's said to be, what a waste of effort on their part :whistle:

IMO~ it's better to be safe than sorry
i do agree with you wuv ;) , and if i search out some larvae this year it will probably be from an out of the way wilderness location when we go camping or something. that being said, i keep thinking about bettas in thailand, living in irrigation ditches in and around bangkok and rice paddies/swamps next to super highways...it's hard to avoid civilization, especially in thailand ;)

True, but the eco-system supports itself. Rarely would you find a disease outbreak in a well established body of water. Much different than the home aquarium.

I gave my two cents so I'm done. Just remember to include the fact that you're feeding home grown larva when you post about your sick fish :)

I'm sorry about being rude. I should've said it nicer. I was getting a little frustrated. debate was the wrong word. maybe discussion would've been better.

I want you to know that a take your opinions with an open mind. But you were going off the subject by talking about the blood. I am trying to say that I do want peoples opinion including yours, but I would like people to give their opinion with educated back-up or just say that you don't have any back-upto your opinion. But giving back-up that doesn't even make sense like "you could be feeding your fish the blood of all your neighbors" is kinda annoying because I was talking about the larva not the adult.

Also I was kinda frustrated because I don't like it when people make assumptions about me or my opinions. At this point I haven't decided if I should feed my bettas the larva or not. that's' why I'm still looking for opinions (with good back-up preferably) including yours, I just knew that the back-up to your opinion didn't have very much credibility. that doesn't mean that you opinions don't have credability BTW.

Again I'm sorry for being a bit of jerk. I'm just trying to get some good back-up that's all. shouldn't have dealt with it the way I did.

Mosquito larvae is the preferred choice of food for bettas. For those of you against using this method, I assume you're against feeding bettas any live foods. The risk is always there when you choose to give your betta live or once-live foods, this includes frozen live food. Healthy bettas need protein in their diet, and pellets rarely offer enough protein.

I wouldn't recommend feeding mosquito larvae if your betta is a finicky eater, as he may never eat pellets again!

Just remember, everyone's betta has different needs. They're definitely some characters.

I just saw my betta eat a tiny moth that ended up getting too close to the tank water... her first unaided feeding, guess I should be proud. :)

Anyway, goes to show you you never really know what they're eating when you're away. :)

endparenthesis said:
I just saw my betta eat a tiny moth that ended up getting too close to the tank water... her first unaided feeding, guess I should be proud. :)

Anyway, goes to show you you never really know what they're eating when you're away. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Heaven forbid a housefly get's indoors around here, they all go bonkers!!

buggy, you can culture your own fruit flies (be sure the fruits are pesticide free!!!) I feed fruit flies to my bettas all the time (my angels love them too!)

Bangin said:
For those of you against using this method, I assume you're against feeding bettas any live foods. The risk is always there when you choose to give your betta live or once-live foods, this includes frozen live food.
oops,just saw this....

I feed lots of live foods, brine,microworms to the fry, blackworms ( :sick: ) fruit flies, it's just that things from outside make me nervous and I don't know why. I'm freaking out over feeding them the blackworms lately...I'm on high alert for any signs of illness now :rolleyes:

As for frozen...I only use Hikari brand and they sterilize everything 8)

wuvmybettas, I respect your safety. I'm a cautious person myself. Do think freezing the larva would help or do think that it won't really make it any safer. :dunno:

West Nile virus seems indiginous to the northeast, mainly in the Lab 257 area.

Most reactions

Back