More Than One Angel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Colonials66

Reaction score
After looking online and speaking to staff at the LFS I'm getting contrasting opinions on whether more than one angel can be kept safely in a community tank. I love the look of my angel at the moment and would like to add another into the mix, but don't want to if they are going to constantly attack each other. So, would it be safe to keep more than one in my tank?

Thanks

i have never had a problem with multiple angels in community tanks.....however, every tank is different, tank size, species kept, conditions, decor, etc etc

I have never kept them but I have considered them and so have done a fair bit of research on it.  What it seems like is this: it is best to either keep one, a mating pair, or more than six.  Usually, to create a pair, people buy six juveniles and wait for them to pair off, then they rehome the rest either as pairs or individuals as things happen.  But, as Mikey aptly noted, any number of other influences come into play as well.

Hope that helps.

r.w.girard said:
I have never kept them but I have considered them and so have done a fair bit of research on it.  What it seems like is this: it is best to either keep one, a mating pair, or more than six.  Usually, to create a pair, people buy six juveniles and wait for them to pair off, then they rehome the rest either as pairs or individuals as things happen.  But, as Mikey aptly noted, any number of other influences come into play as well.

Hope that helps.

yes i kind of agree with this....

most of the time i keep angels i do so for breeding purposes, and that is minimum 6 in a tank by themselves.....however i have kept them in community type tanks also, with no problems.....

Other factors to be considered, tank size? Is it well planted with plenty of hiding areas? What other tank mates? Do you have a spare tank if things go south?

Its a 240 litre tank, with a mix of gourami's swordtails, cory's, x-ray tetras, few guppies and a red tailed black shark. Its a fairly well planted tank, with a few decent sized bits of wood for hiding spaces, and a small formation of rocks into a cave. I worried as, although it would be well and good saying a breeding pair would be fine, if I can't even sex them, then it makes this task very difficult. Would I just be best to leave the idea of getting a new one?

They are cichlids. They can be very nasty to each other. Keep a pair or 4+ . 3 is the worst number for cichlids. .

I have a question if i kept just a pair would they start gettong agressive to other fish?

HHH, depends on the fish in the tank, i.e. size, shape, temperament.

I have a planted 75 gallon with some gouramis a red tail shark and some swordtails and I also have two angels. the angels were given to me so I'm not sure if they are a pair or not but I have seen one of them lay eggs on the filter but the next day they were gone. Even when one of my angels was protecting their eggs they didn't kill anything in my tank but there is a lot of areas where the smaller fish can swim and hide if they need to.

My angels are never aggressive but then again it might just be my angels. Maybe you will be able to find a pair of angels already and just add them to your tank? :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back