Moray Eel Help

Thanks Lynden :good:

Got my 33gal up and running, but taking it slow, just got a couple feeders in there right now, SG is at .010
I gotta go get a new filter as well im currently running 2 little ones for the time being just to keep some circulation in there.
Gonna get some good sand as well, so basically theres nothing in there but water.

I want to get the environment just right before adding the eel into it, im thinking of basically making it a marine instead of brackish. not totally sure though. I want to do whatever would be best for the eel.

Just noticed Lynden, why does it say "fish hater" under your name? Did a moderator put it there? Seems a bit harsh, I wasn't that serious.

Just noticed Lynden, why does it say "fish hater" under your name? Did a moderator put it there? Seems a bit harsh, I wasn't that serious.
I put it there in a joking reference (suggested by Andywg) to that post where you tried to convince me that the optimal care my morays receive is putting them under stress, and indeed, "torturing" them, and that I am a "fish hater" that doesn't deserve my morays.

Secondly, I didn't realize swordtails could tolerate brackish, I was mistaken on that part. But, not a single species of platy, according to fishbase, tolerates the same. In any case, mollies, in my opinion, are the best option.

To the OP; marine tanks have the advantage of a wider range of stock available, but they are markedly more expensive if one wishes to utilize the variety (for example, corals needing higher light). Either would be fine for your moray.

My freshwater moray is in saltwater sort of. my tank drifts back and forth between 1.019 and 1.015. I have brackish anemones so I can't go too low. I still am a firm believer that platies can go brackkish. I've kept them in my tanks for years. Actually so far freshwater morays prefer chubby orange platies over swordtails and guppies. Platies venture to the bottom of the tank more often and are rather slow. Just because platies are not supposed to be in brackish water does not mean they can't. I had a Paradisefish in a betta bowl within jumping distance of my brackish tank. When I went off on vacation I found him in my brackish tank. It was at 1.010 or so at the time. I kept the little guy in there for about six months with no problems. My moray eventually ate him, but it proves tht rules can be broken. I always thought all Antabantids were strictly freshwater.

how long should i wait to add the eel to the new tank?, just added sum substrate to the tank, its at SG .010, so far just a black molly in there

If your moray is eating enough you could wait a week. Morays are big animals, they create a lot of waste compared to a single mollie. When you add the moray use the "Drip System". I actually have an faded old print out explaining it sitting in my fish drawer from like 7 yrs ago when I first started fishkeeping. It is very usefull. Look online and print out instructutions.

My freshwater moray is in saltwater sort of. my tank drifts back and forth between 1.019 and 1.015. I have brackish anemones so I can't go too low. I still am a firm believer that platies can go brackkish. I've kept them in my tanks for years. Actually so far freshwater morays prefer chubby orange platies over swordtails and guppies. Platies venture to the bottom of the tank more often and are rather slow. Just because platies are not supposed to be in brackish water does not mean they can't. I had a Paradisefish in a betta bowl within jumping distance of my brackish tank. When I went off on vacation I found him in my brackish tank. It was at 1.010 or so at the time. I kept the little guy in there for about six months with no problems. My moray eventually ate him, but it proves tht rules can be broken. I always thought all Antabantids were strictly freshwater.
In my opinion this could/should be a lesson for you. There is more than one way to skin a cat, just like there is more than one way to keep a moray. ;)

I have heard all types of crazy stories of acclimations, I even talked to a guy that claimed he acclimated a dwarf frog to his reef tank. Now that I would have liked to see.

Acclimate the moray to SW over a period of about an hour, that has worked well for all the G. tile I have owned (six).

P.S.
All eels should be fed frozen food
. Live food is full of nasty parasites

Apparently that is a breakable "rule"? ;)

If your moray is eating enough you could wait a week. Morays are big animals, they create a lot of waste compared to a single mollie. When you add the moray use the "Drip System". I actually have an faded old print out explaining it sitting in my fish drawer from like 7 yrs ago when I first started fishkeeping. It is very usefull. Look online and print out instructutions.

Ok i got a drip system set up, and the SG is at .010, so do i want it to go higher?

I would not go higher for a while. When I mean "drift" I really mean drift back and forth on salinity. For you going back and forth between 1.010 and 1.015 would be nice. Morays aprecciate subtle change ever few months. You could go to full marine, but it is not neccessary, as long as you stay atleast 1.010.

Most reactions

Back