“mommy” The Killer Yellow Lab!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Just want to pick people brains about fry and feeding.

Will new fry be OK when not fed for four days? I have been feeding them crushed cichlid flake food and they are feeding very nicely. This Friday I am going away for four days, from peoples experience will the fry be OK? I am not concerned about the fish in the other tanks as they are all overfed and fat.

is there any algea in the tank cos i'm sure i've read that if there is they will be ok nibbling on that for a few days :D sorry if i'm talking throu my butt thou 8)

is there any algea in the tank cos i'm sure i've read that if there is they will be ok nibbling on that for a few days :D sorry if i'm talking throu my butt thou 8)

Hey trace,

There is no algae in the tank, its a bare tank with a single piece of ocean rock in it. Although you have given me the idea of transferring one of the smaller pieces of algae covered rock from the big tank just for the weekend as an extra food source. I reckon that should do the trick.

Also does everyone here think that those (white) weekend food tablets arent worth a dam! I have read some pretty bad reviews?

hello tanks, just throw a small piece of cucumber in there or even one of those weekend blocks, you'll be fine mate. there not huge eaters at that size :good:

i have used them weekend feeders once when i came back it had total messed my tank up the block had gone moldy :sick: lost a few fish from that. so personally i wouldn't ever use them again. other people have had a better experience with them but personally i wouldn't.
edited to say i think the cucumber idea is a better option :good:

Hey brewyn

I hope you are enjoying the blue Sky's, its sunny as far as the eye can see over here and its all going in your direction, its time for you to get into the garden!!!

About the fry, I am going to take your advice and stop off at the veg shop later today and pick up some cucumber. (Mammafish I know there has been a little mix up with American/european translations as of late on another post so this is for you, cucumber = Zucchini, not! cucumber = 270 gallons ) :p :p Plus I can then use some in all the tanks to keep the fellows busy!

About the weekend blocks. Trace that is exactly the sort of stories that I have read, I have used them before (until I read the reviews) and I have some in my arsenal of equipment but I don't think I am going to be using them again. I wouldn't risk-it for a biscuit!!!

Thanks again for all your advice!

Its absolutaly glorious mate, you just keep pushing it this way LOL, dont know about the weekend blocks as this mugg pays for folk to come in and feed the birds and fish, but cucumber is a deffinate favourite,your cichlids will love it!!!!! :good:

absolute best food for fry I've ever used is DAPHNIA & MYSIS, both tiny tiny for their mouth's.

crushed flake is just fine too though

Bonjour mes petits amis.

The cucumber worked a treat and there was no moralities over the very long weekend. Thank you people for your advice on fry feeding. Cucumber gets my :good:

note: seems the African cichlid section has had a very busy weekend, 2 closed posts, 3 moved and one suspension. Talk about missing all the excitement and action!!!

Yes I`ve sort of missed the action as well, good to hear the fry survived Tanks well done.

Unfortunalety the lone Piranha Fry in my tank had an accident Saturday morning a went straight down to see if he was still alive and infact he looked really active swimming around quite fast then all of sudden he swam straight to the end with the intake for the filter and disappeared , I waited a few minutes looking for him but he didn`t appear so I opened up the filter and found him dead I was gutted . I`d bought a clearseal tank for him the evening before but hadn`t had the time to set it up yet. To be honest I can`t believe he survived for so long anyway they must be really tough.

Nice One Tanks Well Done, I`ve seen the "stripping" done in a book and doesn`t look easy.

I read how to do it on C-F.com. I held her directly in my hand, in the water with no net and used a toothpick to ease open her mouth to allow the fry out. I spent about 15-20 Min's at it. They just seemed to keep coming. I just had a quick looks at herself and she is eating so I don't need to check for anymore fry. That's a bit of a relief. All in all, it wasn't as trick as I thought it was going to be, although I think it is going to be easier as she get bigger in size, it was quite difficult to hold onto her because she was so small. I have to do it all again now it three weeks. The drama never ends!!!

Ive heard that you could do it with a pen cap as its much safer. Id be worried about cutting the mother when sticking the toothpick in her mouth.

Hope your fry grow big and be healthy!

Ive heard that you could do it with a pen cap as its much safer. Id be worried about cutting the mother when sticking the toothpick in her mouth.

Hope your fry grow big and be healthy!

Your not really sticking the toothpick into the mouth, your mearly using it to pull down the lower jaw, thus the fry can make their escape. I was very gentle as always!

Now my next question!

I have yet another female lab that is holding. Will it be OK to place these newly stripped fry (happening in a week) in with the fry that are four weeks old? I could do without having to make another fry tank!!!!!! :-(

So today was the day for another stripping!!! I got eleven, not as many as the last but a good haul for a small fish.

You may be thinking to yourself "did tanks put the new fry in with the three week old fry"? I had read and been told via a PM, that this could lead to high levels of mortality in the new fry so I went and made yet another tank from bits and pieces that I have lying around the house. The glass that I used was in all different sizes so I had to teach myself to cut glass. The previous smaller fry tank was a nightmare to cut the glass for because I didn't bother reading up on how to do it. This time a quick Google and I had all the info I needed and I didn't break one piece. I AM BLOWING MY OWN TRUMPET LOUDLY NOW!!!

The only things that I had to buy was the light kit and the filter. So the price of the tank came to just under 20 euro. Not bad if I do say so myself. The volume of the tank is 89liters

Have a look and let me know what you think?

DSCF2344.jpg

The lid doesn't close properly on the left hand side because of the mini-fry net.
DSCF2356.jpg

2 white cold cathode lights mounted on a sheet of per-specs to act as a condensation guard for the plywood.
DSCF2352.jpg

More of that lovely rock that I use in my main tank
DSCF2348.jpg

The three week old fry
DSCF2364.jpg

DSCF2366.jpg

DSCF2358.jpg

The fry that I stripped today

DSCF2368.jpg

There will be more fry in two weeks, it never ends!!

Most reactions

Back