Molly With Dropsy!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

keecats

Reaction score
Tank size: 15G

Tank stats: I ran out of testing strips a few days ago. I'm obsessive about testing and usually everything is perfect, though the nitrites can be on the higher side.

tank temp: 80

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): I came home this afternoon and found my molly on the bottom. One of the other fish nipped at her and she zoomed around the tank, hitting the sides, then landed on her side, gasping. I quarantined her, but the tank isn't established. The more I research, the more I become convinced it's dropsy. Pine cone skin, brownish stuff on her head, bulging eyes, etc.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 1/3 twice a week

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: one real plant, 2 fake plants and a structure; fluval substrate; Parasite Guard

Tank inhabitants: 6 tetras, 1 molly, 1 platy, 1 dwarf guarmi, 1 pleco (new) (I was STUPID STUPID STUPID for introducing the pleco without quarantine. Although he doesn't seem sick right now, so I would have added him to the tank anyway.)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): the pleco about 3 weeks ago; new substrate was added last weekend.

(photos aren't clear enough)

I lost an angel (2 months old) a week ago and all the fish (except the tetras) are acting sick. Most notably the guarmi. I moved the molly to a 5G that I just started today (with the bottled bacteria & Parasite Guard), but she was too far gone and we spared her the misery. So what can I do to save the others? I could move them all to the not-yet-established 5G, just long long enough for me to break down the bigger tank, bleach everything, then reestablish it with the tetras. I'm going to run out for strips so I can give you the water params for both tanks, but generally speaking, are the fish better off in the bigger tank until the smaller one is established?

Also, is it safe to use the 5G after the molly was in there (about an hour)? Or should I restart it?

Thank you!!!!!!

The water tested fine in both the 5G & 15G ... except for Nitrates in the latter. So I'm moving them to the smaller tank. The platy has a greyish-brownish covering on her back, and neither she nor the guarmi are acting normally. What can I do for them?

Even the tetras have bulging eyes. PLEASE!!!!!!! Is this tank salvageable?

Whenever your fish seem to act strange it is a good idea to do a 50% water change.

Those test strips are not giving you accurate readings, it would be wise to invest in a liquid test kit.

If you have high nitrites that would mean that your tank is not yet cycled. When did you set up your 15 gallon tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back