Molly Swimming Sideways

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nic1977

Reaction score
Hi i'm not sure what to do i have a black sort of speckled molly who has started swimming on his side he looks sort of bent i read somewhere about giving him a pea so i have done that is there anything else i should do i've tested my water and everything seems to be within normal levels i also readi shiould add salt but was wprried this would harm the other fish

Does the fish look bloated.
When fish swim on there sides it can be swim bladder to internal parasites.
Can the fish maintain its balance in the water.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the anus of the fish to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.
What do you feed the fish.
When you say bent can you describe it in more detail.

Hi it doesn't look bloated and when it swims it looks like its curling up then it swims head down everything looks ok i can't see anything wrong i haven't actually seen this fish going to the toilet. I normally fed flake food and i also put an algae wafer in tank as have plecos which i have seen the mollys nibble on on saturday i put some bloodworms in the tank as well

i dont know if its swimbladder, but my fish had it, its tail was bent and was just floating on the surface (unlike yours which is swimmin, so i dont know if its SB), it could swim ok when he wanted to( when i was feeding), the pea treatment is supposed to be a laxative and its supposed to excrete the food in the stomach thats compressing on the swim bladder. the fish is dead, but i think the ich had something to do with its passing. I went to my lfs today and there was a swim bladder treatment available. Also i read something about plecos eating the protective slime off the goldfish if the plecos are gettin enough nutrients, which makes the fish more vunerable to disease .

Need to improve there diet with some frozen foods and veg.
I had a platy and its tail bent and it didn't survive.
Keep a look out for when your fish go to the toilet.

How many gallons or litres is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back