Molly has white fuzzy spot on its head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mads623

Reaction score
okay guys I'm kinda new to fish diseases but my molly fish recently had fry that are in my tank with her because I've just set up my new one but I've noticed a white fuzzy spot on her head and I am thinking it's either columnaris or a fungus and I'd love some help. I am posting pictures of her below. I'm hoping it can't be figured out so her babies are not harmed. Sorry if I posted it in the wrong thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 814
She does look rather ill (thin, slightly bent), quite apart from the fungus.

You will need to treat the fungus with a medication. How long has your tank been set up and is it cycled? Have you tested the water and/or done a large water change?

I would lean towards this being columnaris more than a fungal infection.

BUT... there is a way to treat both without too much trouble.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

Columnaris is a bacterial infection, so its treatment would be very different from treating an fungus.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html#columnaris
Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria, so you'd need a antibiotic that deals with gram negative bacteria. The bad news is that our cycling bacteria are also gram negative so treatments to the tank will likely kill off your entire cycling bacteria colony as well. This is where having a QT really comes in as a must.

She does look rather ill (thin, slightly bent), quite apart from the fungus.

You will need to treat the fungus with a medication. How long has your tank been set up and is it cycled? Have you tested the water and/or done a large water change?
Her tail is bent bc she got stuck in the filter intake three times. My tank is almost sucked my levels are dropping like crazy and she seems very happy the past two days. I treated the tank today but last night I noticed the bump had significantly shrunk. I went to my lfs to get some advice and took home an API fungus cure. All my fish seem to be doing fine other than the fungus type thing. Thanks for the help!

I would lean towards this being columnaris more than a fungal infection.

BUT... there is a way to treat both without too much trouble.

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/07/fish-baths.html

Columnaris is a bacterial infection, so its treatment would be very different from treating an fungus.
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html#columnaris
Columnaris is a gram negative bacteria, so you'd need a antibiotic that deals with gram negative bacteria. The bad news is that our cycling bacteria are also gram negative so treatments to the tank will likely kill off your entire cycling bacteria colony as well. This is where having a QT really comes in as a must.
I'm getting kind of confused because the fish store I've been going to for years who are always helpful believe it's fungus but I've noticed she no longer has this spot on her head. I'm so confused and I have fry in the tank with her

If you are getting results with the antifungal keep going with that. Columnaris shows like a fungus, but isn't one. It's hard to tell from pictures on the internet, but much easier to diagnose in person. Do what is working.

As for keeping the fry with her while you are treating, I wouldn't. If there's anywhere you could move either the fry (safely) or the sick molly, I would. Fry are extremely sensitive to meds, etc.

Last edited:
If you are getting results with the antifungal keep going with that. Columnaris shows like a fungus, but isn't one. It's hard to tell from pictures on the internet, but much easier to diagnose in person. Do what is working.

As for keeping the fry with her while you are treating, I wouldn't. If there's anywhere you could move either the fry (safely) or the sick molly, I would. Fry are extremely sensitive to mess, etc.
Okay I'm just worried about moving the fry to the new tank as it's only been up and running for two weeks and I don't want to end up killing them. They seem to be fine so far and all of my fish including the adults are eating and acting basically normal nothing too alarming except the fussy spot which has since disappeared since I put salt in the tank before I bought a fungal treatment. Thanks for the help guys any advice on my fry would be great. They are around a month or so old maybe less.

Mollies actually do quite well with salt, and salt is a good antifungal and antibacterial (external) agent. Is there any other species in this tank?

If not, you can leave the salt as it is for the long haul. Mollies can be fully freshwater fish (as long as it is HARD), brackish or full marine. It really comes down to your preference.

As for the fry, the biggest concern long term is to have somewhere to put them eventually.
For the short term, keeping them where they are will work... I just prefer not to treat a full tank of fish for a single sick fish. Having a QT for a sick fish is best, most of the time.

Mollies actually do quite well with salt, and salt is a good antifungal and antibacterial (external) agent. Is there any other species in this tank?

If not, you can leave the salt as it is for the long haul. Mollies can be fully freshwater fish (as long as it is HARD), brackish or full marine. It really comes down to your preference.

As for the fry, the biggest concern long term is to have somewhere to put them eventually.
For the short term, keeping them where they are will work... I just prefer not to treat a full tank of fish for a single sick fish. Having a QT for a sick fish is best, most of the time.
I have just mollies in there right now. They are my favorite type of fish. Not really sure why they just fascinate me. I thought my female has a ripped tail because she got caught in the filter but I look at her five minutes ago and her tail fin actually seems the be repairing. She's much less lethargic than she was earlier and the male is actually chasing them now. For the past two weeks he seemed to stay away from them. They are going to be quite crowded in this tank with the babies so I have a 55 gallon set up with some giant danios in it to start the cycle and as soon as my levels drop to zero I plan to move all of them and use the ten gallon for quarantine in the future. Some of my fry have been dying lately but I've noticed they're all fry that never had the instinct to eat. I lost around three or so today but I noticed before they died and I watched them and realized they looked like they weren't eating. The guy at my lfs said a lot of them won't ever gain the instinct to eat/survive and I'd love your thoughts on that too! For now I'm happy as the female I was concerned about seems to be doing much better.

I have just mollies in there right now. They are my favorite type of fish. Not really sure why they just fascinate me. I thought my female has a ripped tail because she got caught in the filter but I look at her five minutes ago and her tail fin actually seems the be repairing. She's much less lethargic than she was earlier and the male is actually chasing them now. For the past two weeks he seemed to stay away from them. They are going to be quite crowded in this tank with the babies so I have a 55 gallon set up with some giant danios in it to start the cycle and as soon as my levels drop to zero I plan to move all of them and use the ten gallon for quarantine in the future. Some of my fry have been dying lately but I've noticed they're all fry that never had the instinct to eat. I lost around three or so today but I noticed before they died and I watched them and realized they looked like they weren't eating. The guy at my lfs said a lot of them won't ever gain the instinct to eat/survive and I'd love your thoughts on that too! For now I'm happy as the female I was concerned about seems to be doing much better.
It's a must as soon as my big tank is cycled that I get more females so the other isn't bred to death

Yes, livebearers should be kept 2 or 3 females for every male.

Fry are a challenge... even livebearers. There's a reason they have so many at a time. They are easily eaten, don't figure out how to eat, etc. In general, the best success is found when separating fry from other fish so that they can be watched more carefully. But, with livebearers, you'll be getting about 20-30 fry every 6 weeks per female. So, that's a lot of practice.

Yes, livebearers should be kept 2 or 3 females for every male.

Fry are a challenge... even livebearers. There's a reason they have so many at a time. They are easily eaten, don't figure out how to eat, etc. In general, the best success is found when separating fry from other fish so that they can be watched more carefully. But, with livebearers, you'll be getting about 20-30 fry every 6 weeks per female. So, that's a lot of practice.
Thank you for the encouragement and advice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back