Mollies & Cory?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ICEEGRL

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Here is my problem... All the lists say they go well together.
I had guppies and 1 cory( I was told they should be kept alone and didn't know better) for about 2 years before my daughter decided to feed them when I wasn't looking.
I then found myself with a 29gal. tank with 1 cory in it.
I decided to get Mollies to go with the cory. After killing many mollies, I learned that mollies need salt. Thinking I was doing good, I added salt. Now I have gone from fresh to brackish. Then I get told that not only does the cory not like the salt, he needs friends his own kind.
I have lowered the salt level to about half. I hope this is an ok compramise. I would like more cory, but don't want to make them unhappy or sick. Mine seems to be doing fine so far.

Should I get more cory? Will they be ok with small amounts of salt? if so how much? Will the mollies be ok with only a small amount of salt?

What salt level could work for both? :huh: :huh:

I believe corys belong to a group of fish whose internal organs have not developed to handle salt; though you can use salt on them short term for emergency treatment, there is a risk of longterm health problems if you keep them in salt permanently (like feeding salt to a baby- their kidneys aren't developed to handle it). I would avoid keeping corys and mollies together for this reason. Hard to suggest a compromise really. If your water is hard and alkaline, maybe try to keep the mollies in freshwater....no, I don't know really. You could ask in the catfish forum too.

ive had mollies and a Cory in my tank for about six months now, the water has aquarium salt in and ive had no problems

How much salt do you keep in it? How much per gallon or salinity level? I would love to find something that works for both.
:p

I also have Guppies, Mollies and cory's , mine all seem fine, if the cory doesn't like it he sure does not show it ....he is as happy as larry! Before I added the salt , 2 of his friends died. Now he is getting bigger and bigger and all seems well. I will let you know if there is any change.

Thank you. If you would let me know what kind of salt you use and how much. ;)

ive had mollies and a Cory in my tank for about six months now, the water has aquarium salt in and ive had no problems

Aquarium Salt and Marine Salt are not the same thing. It is Marine Salt that Mollies need, and Marine Salt that Corydoras cannot handle.

Sadly, the only thing to do here is to separate the two species.

cheers.
MoMa

Thank you. If you would let me know what kind of salt you use and how much. ;)

Assuming we're rehoming the Corydoras, you want to get yourself a hydrometer, and add enough Marine Salt to bring the Specific Gravity to between 1.003 and 1.005.
There is a helpful pinned topic that will outline this process for you.

Hope this helps!
MoMa

Most reactions

Back