mollie fry

navigator

Reaction score
Does anyone know roughly how many fry will a black mollie produce at any one time, and also how often will they produce fry. I am also keen to learn how long it takes approx. for them to give birth from when they are made pregnant.

Roughly, I'd say 20-40. But it really depends on a lot of things.

They produce fry about every month. Also, it takes about 3-4 weeks after they are pregnant to have fry. :)

20-40 wow well then someone in my tank has had a feast as I hadnt realised that the female had produced fry and I have only found 3 of them. well have to be a bit more diligent the next time then.

Well, it could also depend on a few other things. Most likely they got eaten though. How big is the female? If she's smaller, she may have had fewer fry. But most likely more then 3..I'd say someone had a good snack.

A good mature female could produce 30-70 fry but first time females often produce lower numbers...like Annastasia said...would have probably had more than 3

I've also heard of mature females having up to 100 fry...but average is probably what Macracantha said...30-70. :)

think that I am going to have to seperate the males and females from the tank aint got the room for all these new additions lol

Mollies can have fry every month for up to 5 or 6 months from one pregnation...might as well keep the male in...I would have thought that the fish in your tank would 'take care' of the fry anyway...and a good 'treat' for them!

Yes, they can have fry without the male, but usually the numbers go down. So, if you want less fry, I would take the male out. :thumbs:

We also found only 3 fry so my fish got a mouthful as well. I can just picture that pig male molly sitting under her bottom waiting for the next snack to pop out. -_-

Most reactions

trending

Back