Mixing Gourami?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Too Fast

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have just read on another thread that you can't mix dwarfs and pearls.

Can you mix different types of Gourami???? My LFS has a couple of species in tanks together but I know that's a short term thing. I was looking at adding a blue dwarf and a red dwarf to my pearl. Failing that I like either the red honey, white or the opaline.

Are any of these compatible and if so my pearl is female so what sex should I add of the different types? I ideally want 3 Gourami and already have 1 Pearl so looking for 2 others.

Can you mix different types of Gourami???? My LFS has a couple of species in tanks together but I know that's a short term thing. I was looking at adding a blue dwarf and a red dwarf to my pearl. Failing that I like either the red honey, white or the opaline.

Are any of these compatible and if so my pearl is female so what sex should I add of the different types? I ideally want 3 Gourami and already have 1 Pearl so looking for 2 others.
I wouldn't advise anyone to mix Gourami species. It can be done with certain species though. Keeping Pearls and Dwarfs is just asking for trouble. Pearl Gouramis will bully Honey Gouramis so not a good idea either.
You may be OK adding an Opaline in there though, I have done this in the past with success, but it doesn't necessarily mean it will work in your aquarium so proceed with caution :oh:
For your 3rd Gouramis,only species I will work with your stocking could be a Banded Gourami, a Thick lipped gourami or a 3 Spot Gourami. Don't add a 4th gourami though.

Carl

I might add another couple of pearls then just to stop fighting. Thanks.

I have 2 pearls(male & female) and 4 dwarf honey gourami(1female, 3 males) together..in the same tank....they get along just fine. I also have a 140g tank though, so maybe herein lies the solution. My honey gourami like to follow the male pearl around for some reason and he completely tolerates it and has no issues. There haven't been any aggressive tendencies yet, fingers crossed. Now, if and when bubble nests start being built, we will have to see how they react to one another. Worst case scenario, I put the dwarfs in my 30 gallon. Sometimes, things work out against the odds. BTW, I also have a male and female betta in my community tank and "they" said I couldn't, but no problems so far.

I've lost my male opaline gourami, but still have in my tank pearl gouramis, male lavender, female gold and female moonlight. Plus a female angelfish. They all get along just fine and have done for several years. They are in a 260 litre.

omg its a nightmare, went round my mates as I've given him my fish to look after. He has two gourami but not sure what they are called, I've added my one lace and its getting battered I'm sure! I've put a video on you tube of it to upload on here later, will have to excuse the commentary luckily I did'nt pay anything for mine as won't be alive long I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzvALnd6vA

I had to register just to say I wish you had payed since "your" gourami certainly did.

I honestly believe that it all depends on each individual gourami's personality because I've seen it go down both ways. Where someone has four or five that do just fine together..and someone who has three that beat the crap out of eachother..I would observe the fish at the lfs and try to pick the one's that seem to have the mildest tempers personally and see if it works..If not ask your lfs if they will except an exchange for another if it doesn't work out..:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back