Mixing Cory Eggs

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Biancah76

Reaction score
With the help of some other users advice, my first batch of peppered cory fry have hatched in the 2L cookie jar yesterday, I have been doing daily water changes. They have been spawning for months, but I have only just realised how tiny they are/ they've been escaping the breeder box slits the same day, and taking their chances in community, (the Bristlenose has been getting the blame for eggs disappearing because she can climb in and out of floating breeder)
Only 2 juveniles have survived til now and I didn't notice them til they were at least 1cm ( I have a mix of dark and light 'moon' sand in 4ft so even the peppered adults just melt into substrate from above) there may be more..
I just woke up this morning and as I was shining a torch in cupboard to check jar, I watched two more hatch, before standing up and noticing one of my albinos laying eggs up the glass in 4ft
My question is
Will the albino eggs be harmed by the newly hatched and or two week old peppered fry? Should I be setting up a bigger or second jar or can they all go in with either of the peppered batches? I do have a second tank, but it's fully cycled with plants and a light sand base, the two week old fry are in there somewhere already and I haven't seen one since they hatched so don't stand a chance of any kind of monitoring if I put any more of them in there.

I'm in Essex if anyone local wants some in a few weeks drop me a message! Think I currently have at least 25 peppered fry, and now an additional 40 albino eggs so won't be able to keep forever if they all make it 🙄
What a hard life! 👍😁
IMG_20220525_150127.jpgIMG_20220518_203919.jpg

I currently have a batch of 80 odd cory fry myself, so I'll pass on the fry, but thanks!
No, newly hatched wrigglers won't pose a threat to newer eggs, but many would keep separate mainly because eggs are very prone to fungus, and checking them 2-3 times daily and not wanting to cross contaminate any potential issues, you know.

I just saw your other thread too, congrats on the fry! I'm curious though, because you're referring to your albinos as though they're a different species from your peppered. Albino isn't a species though, it's just a colour mutation. Most in the hobby are either albino aeneus (bronze cories), albino paleatus (same species as your peppered, just a colour mutation) or much less frequently, albino sterbai.

If you post some clear photos of your albinos from different angles, someone will be able to ID which one(s) you have, or if you mix of both aeneus and peppered albinos even. :)

You were also alarmed that one seemed smaller, it may just be younger, could be stunted, or might even just be a male that looks a lot smaller and more slender than the chunky females- females are much rounder and stockier, and even more so when they're spawning like mad.

I currently have a batch of 80 odd cory fry myself, so I'll pass on the fry, but thanks!
No, newly hatched wrigglers won't pose a threat to newer eggs, but many would keep separate mainly because eggs are very prone to fungus, and checking them 2-3 times daily and not wanting to cross contaminate any potential issues, you know.

I just saw your other thread too, congrats on the fry! I'm curious though, because you're referring to your albinos as though they're a different species from your peppered. Albino isn't a species though, it's just a colour mutation. Most in the hobby are either albino aeneus (bronze cories), albino paleatus (same species as your peppered, just a colour mutation) or much less frequently, albino sterbai.

If you post some clear photos of your albinos from different angles, someone will be able to ID which one(s) you have, or if you mix of both aeneus and peppered albinos even. :)

You were also alarmed that one seemed smaller, it may just be younger, could be stunted, or might even just be a male that looks a lot smaller and more slender than the chunky females- females are much rounder and stockier, and even more so when they're spawning like mad.
Thank you, I will reply better with photo's later when my friend goes home. The fish store told me they were albino peppered, but they can't be, they are larger than the peppered and they don't cross spawn.( The same fish store (Rayleigh Swallow) it turns out were wrong about the fish they sold my friend "chilli rasbora" which I'm still not sure what they are and "x-ray tetra" which are in fact gold neons) so it isn't a huge surprise. The one that hasn't grown is still a third of the size of the males/ rest and it is still white, rather than the yellowy mature colour. It does eat, I've watched it and it wouldn't have survived months if it couldn't, it just hasn't increased in size at all.

Thank you, I will reply better with photo's later when my friend goes home. The fish store told me they were albino peppered, but they can't be, they are larger than the peppered and they don't cross spawn.( The same fish store (Rayleigh Swallow) it turns out were wrong about the fish they sold my friend "chilli rasbora" which I'm still not sure what they are and "x-ray tetra" which are in fact gold neons) so it isn't a huge surprise. The one that hasn't grown is still a third of the size of the males/ rest and it is still white, rather than the yellowy mature colour. It does eat, I've watched it and it wouldn't have survived months if it couldn't, it just hasn't increased in size at all.

Easy mistake for the store to make, not everyone is super into cories, and it could always be that they'd ordered albino peppered, but happened to get albino aeneus instead! There's often mix ups between fish farms abroad substituting things or mislabelling happens at stores, and as you've found, stores often don't know what they're doing!

if you can happen to snag some pics of the "chili rasbora", I'm sure someone here will be able to ID those too!

If the smaller albino is still eating and otherwise seems healthy, I wouldn't fret too much. :)

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.
No. 1, Cory's. I would like to know the deal with stunted juvenile, it's the colour that makes me feel like it will never mature. They were all a similar size when I got them.
There is also fry in the biorb, I spooked round it with a torch earlier. I have put the albino eggs in cookie jar, I'm already running two tetra 300 air pumps in the living room, don't need the storage box out really. I gave them a bigger change and removed debris with syringe like usual, I don't need too many. I'd like a few more of the albinos for the sake of fairness, but they all get on well regardless of race! The two babies and the stunted one always get a fair look in at meal times. I will say the fully grown albinos have much bolder personality, they will come take worms from my fingers, the peppered are much more wary, they love the moon sand camouflage.

IMG_20220529_224541.jpg
IMG_20220529_223822.jpg

IMG_20220529_224056.jpg

IMG_20220529_233058.jpg
No 2. The 3 "Chilli Rasbora's" I think they may be dwarf rasbora, they do get on really well with the Endlers though, not that they have much choice til I come across some more, It was so hard to get a photo without blur of the spiked tail, which is what makes me not so sure about them. When the friend I bought the tank& a few inhabitants from got them, they were in a tank with some Japanese rice fish? He was told neither like a lot of flow, but that's definitely not the case, they are always at fast end with endlers and guppies in my set up.
IMG_20220527_195659.jpg
IMG_20220527_195702.jpg

Thank you to everyone, joining this site has been wonderfully friendly and helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_223901.jpg
    IMG_20220529_223901.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 44
The "chili rasbora" look like endler's livebearers to me! There are a few varieties of them. However I am no livebearer expert, but we happen to have exactly one of those here! @emeraldking will be able to tell you a great deal more. If you can get get some clear-ish photos of them in the water (or a short video, since I know they move fast!) rather than the pics of them in the netting, even better chance he can tell you which type of Endler, if if I'm mistaken and they're something else. Definitely NOT chili rasbora, that's for sure, I'd be shocked if they were anything other than Endler's. Oh, if you do take video, the video upload feature on the site doesn't work, but a youtube link pasted here does!

Yep, your albino's are albino bronze cories, Corydoras aeneus! The head shape and fins are different compared to peppered, along with being bigger of course. :) I've always found aeneus to be much more dopey and less easily spooked than most other cories too... I don't know whether that's partly because they're so easily captive bred, and you might find the baby peppered cories you raise are bolder and more used to being closer to humans than the adults you got, would be nice to find out! I have my aeneus (both bronze and albino aeneus) in with a group of Sterbai cories, and the Sterbai are considerably more shy and easily spooked than the bronzes. However, when I got the sterbai, I don't know whether they were wild-caught, bred in a fish farm, or an aquarium, while my bronzes were captive bred and many of the ones I have now are ones I raised. I've also generally heard of Sterbai being much more shy and spooky than peppered.

The smaller one - I wouldn't be too alarmed. It's possible that it's stunted in some way, we can never tell if the fish might have some internal issues that affects it's growth and adult size. But it's also possible that it's one that's younger than the others and will catch up in time, or even the same age and is growing slower than the others. I've noticed some huge disparities in sizes from cory fry even within the first weeks, the same batch, same conditions, with the same access to a cloud of live food several times a day, but in a previous batch I had one that was easily 3 times larger than the others! Current batch has quite a range of size differences too. Sometimes the smaller ones fail to thrive and pass on, other times they seem absolutely fine and even out, or never get quite as big as the others. Keep an eye and make sure s/he's getting the same access to food as the others, but cories aren't territorial/bullying types of fish, so it's not likely to a problem along those lines.

Glad you're enjoying the forum! Some really lovely folks here. I learned a lot by joining here, and still pick up new things every day, plus it's nice to chat with other fish nuts who can tolerate us going on about water parameters and raising fry and other stuff that bores non-fishkeepers to tears. ;)

So you've probably noticed by now, but I'm not great at photos, I had an accident and injured both right shoulder and knee a few years ago, I never really regained the fine motor skills in my right arm, I have trouble getting unblurry photos of still objects some days 😄, and I don't envy anyone else that has to decipher my handwritten fish food schedule.

I think @AdoraBelle Dearheart has a point about YouTube, I got a warning over posting a Googledrive link to my egg tumbler vid on a shrimp thread in the past so I do have a YouTube account, just have to remember which email I used.

I am certain they're Endlers if everyone else thinks so too, because they get on so well with mine, (which with hindsight was a lucky break, because I already had 15 male Endlers/ guppies in my collection, if there had been a female I would have had problems) No wonder I couldn't find them when I was scrolling Google images for rasbora.
I did have my suspicions, but the one receipt he had listed all the fish I inherited with tank, it doesn't list Endlers. It stated:
3 Chilli Rasbora and various incorrectly labelled and badly advised quantities of Tetra:
3 gold neons (labelled x-ray)
3 ember (labelled fire) which maybe could have been mistaken for chilli's when small? (except I do also have the 3 Embers)
6 Neons,
3 Cardinal and
The cochu's blue (that I re-homed because they're just not friendly enough for a peaceful community and wouldn't let anything else eat, even before I started adding my own fish)
I have purchased from same shop in the past, which was where I got mislabelled cory's about 8 months ago and since the stunted one, and a couple of their snakeskin Endlers dying from swim bladder issues in a matter of weeks, I wouldn't go back. There are a few options in the area, and although they have the largest capacity/ variety, they do seem to have a record for being mistaken, and incidentally the mistakes usually seem to be financially worthwhile, they're probably the furthest distance too so no real loss. IMG_20220530_155508.jpg
You're right about boring the non fish keeping friends/family, I sent my mum a vid of just how small the Cory's are (she did think the teens are cute) and she said "What those little sperm?" Lol My friend last night just laughed that they're in a jar in cupboard when I already have two tanks, and asked when I'm gonna have to get a third!

I must admit I have been considering attempting to reseal the corner of 80L by myself, I have some aquarium sealant I've never opened. I have used bathroom sealant, guess it's the same, pull it out and start over? Does anyone have advice about how thick to apply it, thicker the better? because I suspect, having previously flooded the place when I split bucket while doing water change and watched 30L of water spill out over floor, I may be inclined to overdo it. I know how much worse 80L would be!
Thank you all for your help.

You're right about boring the non fish keeping friends/family, I sent my mum a vid of just how small the Cory's are (she did think the teens are cute) and she said "What those little sperm?" Lol My friend last night just laughed that they're in a jar in cupboard when I already have two tanks, and asked when I'm gonna have to get a third!

Hey! How are your cory wrigglers doing now? :) I need to take a video of my little guys swimming about now, they're adorable!
I must admit I have been considering attempting to reseal the corner of 80L by myself, I have some aquarium sealant I've never opened. I have used bathroom sealant, guess it's the same, pull it out and start over? Does anyone have advice about how thick to apply it, thicker the better? because I suspect, having previously flooded the place when I split bucket while doing water change and watched 30L of water spill out over floor, I may be inclined to overdo it. I know how much worse 80L would be!

I can't help here I'm afraid, I'm sorry. I think @Colin_T would know!

know what?

sum up the issue coz it's too early to read this thread :)
Haha, I get it! Plus the rest of the thread doesn't matter, just this part I thought you'd be able to help with, since I have no idea :D

Hey! How are your cory wrigglers doing now? :) I need to take a video of my little guys swimming about now, they're adorable!

I can't help here I'm afraid, I'm sorry. I think @Colin_T would know!
The Wrigglers are ok, I lost a couple, and I'm not sure mixing the albino eggs in was a great idea after all, I have had to remove a few to fungus, but I've just been doing daily 50% water change, liquifry and swapping their moss ball with one from big tank, and adding a couple of algae covered leaves daily for the infusoria. I have a little 1ml syringe that makes a great little hoover. Meanwhile the parents are already digging up plants for another batch!

The Wrigglers are ok, I lost a couple, and I'm not sure mixing the albino eggs in was a great idea after all, I have had to remove a few to fungus, but I've just been doing daily 50% water change, liquifry and swapping their moss ball with one from big tank, and adding a couple of algae covered leaves daily for the infusoria. I have a little 1ml syringe that makes a great little hoover. Meanwhile the parents are already digging up plants for another batch!
Corys aren't algaeeaters

Most reactions

Back