Mirror Carp Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lorraine

Reaction score
I have a 10lb mirror carp in my pond along ith goldfish..rudd and ghost carp.

A few days ago some how she managed to loose a couple of her mirror scales near her tail.these ones lost are the scales going depth wise.it completly white underneath

i have added some salt to the pond along with a medipad.

she hasnt eaten for the last 2 days and was wondering what else i can do with her

pond has plenty or air..with a airstone running and a twin filter.

i know there are alot of problems going around at the moment with parasites due to the hot weather recently..a friend of mine has got the koi diesese in his pond and is losing his prize fish at a rapid rate.

so any help would be gratefull

lorraine

Is there any sign of fungus or infection in the wound. Do you know the water parameters, how big is the pond, how is it filtered, what are you feeding? :)

the pond is 14ftx8ftx3ft deep

no signs of any fungus or infection yet.she sits just under the surface sometimes..but prefers to go deep

it is filtered by a large twin filter..uv..and a air pump..im feeding floating sticks and some pellets she also likes a bit of sweetcorn every now and then ;)

i pass on the water testing..i have never once tested it in all the years ive had it..i do automatically do a partial water change once every 3 month just to cover for nirate build up.

goldfish are happy..there are eggs every where this year which normally ghostie eats up anyway

Right, well everything sounds in check so providing you watch the fish carefully for infection she should be fine, she may not be feeding because she is stressed. If she is not coming to the surface some frozen foods or sinking foods may help to tempt the fish to eat. Personally I would be patient and observe the fish as much as possible watching for any odd behavior or symptoms that could indicate any disease, keep trying small amounts of food through out the day and see how she progresses, please keep me updated.

If you have a digital camera you can also upload pictures to the forum if you would like to show of your pond which sounds wonderful. :)

I think i have just figured out the problem...i was just sat staring at the pond and have realised every one of last years fry are missing...so im thinking the dreaded heron :sad: :sad:

so next...whats the best decoy :unsure:

lorraine said:
I think i have just figured out the problem...i was just sat staring at the pond and have realised every one of last years fry are missing...so im thinking the dreaded heron :sad: :sad:

so next...whats the best decoy :unsure:
Well, I will tell you what I use. Herons love to wade so if you get some fishing wire and tie it across the pond at 12" intervals and make sure it is taught. Then when Mr. Heron reappears he will try to do what he normally does but will keep hitting invisible wire, this will stress the bird and it will fly off, works for me. :)

lorraine said:
i might just do that..i have plenty of fishing line as i go sea fishing..damn herons :sad:
Yeah, sorry to hear that. Do you have any pics of your pond? :)

This is my pond 2 years ago on new set-up
hope this works
im planning on expanding on it in a month or 2...im going to make it about another 2ft longer and about 1-2 wider.this will take it to a wall i have built seperating the top patio to the grassed area so i can waterfall from the wall.

this means digger in as 2 inches under the surface is solid chalk -_-

Attachments

• Picture1_063.jpg
    Picture1_063.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 59

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back