Minimum stocking level following completion of cycle

Diab2005

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if three honey gourami would be sufficient to stop the bacteria from disappearing once cycling is complete in a 100l tank.

My tanks almost done but my fish supplier doesn't deliver until Monday. I am getting the honey gourami from an lfs but wondering if I'd be better just adding the 1/3 ammonia every two days then stock on Monday all at once?

Ideally if there are 1-2 more fish you are planning to get and are available locally then get them, otherwise just wait until Monday and stock.

I'm just afraid if you keep putting so much ammonia in you'll have two high of an ammonia level when you get your fish. Just stock a very small number of fish to start with otherwise you'll overload the amount of bacteria you have in your tank - even after cycling it takes a month or two to really grow the bacteria you need for a fully stocked tank - how do I know? I did exactly that with my first set of fish. Ended up buying Tetra Plus and pouring most of the bottle in - it gave it the needed bacteria. This is something you could do every couple of days until your fish are ready for you - just make sure it's not just the Tetra that just clarifies the water but the Tetra that has the added bacteria. Seachem also makes a product but I've never gotten it to work at all. This will easily get you through until Monday and increase the number of good bacteria in your tank.

If your clearing 3ppm ammonia to zero in 24 hours snack doses won't build up ammonia but keep the bacteria happy.

If it's only until Monday you could put the Gourami in today and you'll be fine.

The ammonia levels won't get too high surely, my tank is only cycled once the nitrate gets rid of the ammonia, maybe nitrates may get too high but what do I know.
OK ill skip the gourami and wait till Monday, my understanding was the reason you cycle is so you can stock quite full, thats what the guide implies anyway

The ammonia levels won't get too high surely, my tank is only cycled once the nitrate gets rid of the ammonia, maybe nitrates may get too high but what do I know.
OK ill skip the gourami and wait till Monday, my understanding was the reason you cycle is so you can stock quite full, thats what the guide implies anyway
If you have followed the fishless cycle guide and are now in a place where if you add a full dose of ammonia (3ppm) and the tank clears both ammonia and nitrites to 0 in 24 hours then yes you are fully cycled.
You can now add snack doses of ammonia every 3 days or so to keep the bacteria going until you get your stock, and you can fully stock in one go if you like. Don't forget to do the really big water change before adding livestock.
You could add your Gourami today, after a really big water change, and the rest of your stock on Monday with no ill effects.

OK it was more where cause the gourami prob won't produce much waste in that time whether the bacteria would die off with no additional ammonia snacks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back