Min Number Of White Cloud Mountain Minnows?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had another look in the Betta forum on here at the following link:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=96682

This seems to suggest that keeping a Betta with WCMMs should be OK (depending on the fish) as long as the tank has a filter and a heater. This post actually backs up what has been said here with regard to the number of WCMMs to be kept but I obviously missed this the first time I read it.

I think in light of what I've read, and the thoughts and suggestions everyone has kindly provided here, I'm going to go for what I had originally planned (i.e. 1 male Betta, 6 WCMMs, 6 Pygmy Cories in a 40 – 45 litre tank) and aim to keep it at a steady 23 - 24C. If things go horribly wrong then I'll learn from my mistakes and won't try anything similar again but if I don't try this then I'm always going to wish I did and regret not having done so.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone. Now comes the tricky bit... persuading my wife to let me get another fish tank!

I had another look in the Betta forum on here at the following link:

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=96682"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=96682[/URL]

This seems to suggest that keeping a Betta with WCMMs should be OK (depending on the fish) as long as the tank has a filter and a heater. This post actually backs up what has been said here with regard to the number of WCMMs to be kept but I obviously missed this the first time I read it.

I think in light of what I've read, and the thoughts and suggestions everyone has kindly provided here, I'm going to go for what I had originally planned (i.e. 1 male Betta, 6 WCMMs, 6 Pygmy Cories in a 40 – 45 litre tank) and aim to keep it at a steady 23 - 24C. If things go horribly wrong then I'll learn from my mistakes and won't try anything similar again but if I don't try this then I'm always going to wish I did and regret not having done so.

Thanks again for all your advice everyone. Now comes the tricky bit... persuading my wife to let me get another fish tank!

Just wanted to mention that that combination is what I have in that 15 g. - betta, pygmy cories, WCM - and a little 'feeder' guppy/endler cross, together with an adorable young female bristlenose who's actually just visiting.
There's plenty of cover, things to do and see, and never a sign of any problem even at feeding time, although I do drop 'top-feeder' food in two different areas so that nobody HAS to (although they often do) go near anybody else to eat.

The betta type does also seem to make a difference, though, with Crowntails typically being more aggressive and the seemingly more laid-back (at least in my limited experience) larger-tailed (i.e., delta/super delta/half-moon) types (such as the betta in that 15 who was bought as a Half-Moon and may well have been, if he'd ever flared to show me,) apparently knowing darn well that their heavy finnage slows them down too much for them to bother chasing anyone more than an inch or two.

Lots of factors involved, but I shouldn't think you'll have any issues as long as you A) have plenty of cover - remembering that plastic plants may damage long betta fins and that live plants actively help improve water quality and also provide small, natural changes to the environment as they grow, alleviating piscine boredom in an unchanging world - and B) as long as the other fish are settled in the tank prior to adding your betta, even if the betta's already in and has to be temporarily removed and the plants/decorations in the tank somewhat altered to achieve this.
Because once the betta's established a territory, the new fish are entering his turf, and may be regarded as invaders to be chased away.
Otherwise, they're likely to be viewed as just sort of part of the new tank the betta's getting used to.
Best of luck and have fun.

Hi paw-paw, thanks for your comment.

I've read that WCMM should have a water temperature of 8 - 25C whereas Bettas prefer 24 - 30C so I hoped that if I could keep it at 24 - 25C then both should be happy. I know this might be a bit on the warm side for the WCMMs but I've also read that both fish are quite hardy and as long as the temperature stays consistent I should be able to keep them.

Dan

I have tested WCMM down to 10C by accident and can safely say they sleep untill it warms up to about 13c normal activity resumed at about 15C and they seem fine and happy when the water hit 28C in the summer so i would say there happy range is about 16-28

Only my opinion though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back