MILKING FISH

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

p1ngu

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, what are your views on milking mouthbrooding fish when they are pregnant?

Is it good to do this if you cannot seperate them ?

I heard some stories that when doing this, after you have finished there can be a purple/red colour to the fish's gills, sort of like bruising.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Stripping fish is the proper term for it.

There is nothing wrong with doing it as long as you know how, but it should still be reserved for specific situations. It's best to let them spit on their own unless you have good reason to strip.

Is it good to do this if you cannot seperate them
I've stripped fish before that refused to spit even five weeks holding - at this point it was starting to affect her health.
I've stripped fish because I often find it less stressful for them to go through their holding period in the tank they're used to instead of in isolation, so the fry can be stripped right into the fry tank and the female can go right back home.

I heard some stories that when doing this, after you have finished there can be a purple/red colour to the fish's gills, sort of like bruising.
This means the fish was held improperly during the process. If you don't know what to do, leave it alone.

How is it done properly? i have seen some fish in the lfs with the purple/red colour. I assume its because of stripping the fish since the throat is still swollen.

whats stripping fish?

edit: isnt that where you lay them on a table?! cause i have seen a friend to it to her koi when they were pregnant!!

I second that- whats stripping/milking fish :blink: ? What kind of situation do you do it in and how do you go about it and why??

Although I don't know how its done, stripping fish usually means physically getting the fry out of a mouthbrooding fish's mouth :)

Stripping fish is when you force the female mouthbrooder to release the fry.

You do this by holding the fish (firm but gentle, grasping her whole body, not any one area so it doesn't bruise) and then gently opening her lower jaw with a fingernail and dipping her in and out of the water until the fry have swum out. You must take care not to bruise the fish while holding her or damage her jaw, of course. Better to fail the first try or two then try too hard. Generally best to let them spit.

But why would you do it in the first place? whats wrong with letting the mother fish do her own thing in her own time?

Tokis-Phoenix said:
But why would you do it in the first place? whats wrong with letting the mother fish do her own thing in her own time?
sometimes the female will not spit the fry what so ever. it may not be be best for the fish to stay in the mothers mouth either.

Plus some other reasons for the mother
She will not eat while holding making her weaker than the others, and she may be attacked by the other fish.

Though that may be because they wont spit while in the main tank.

It's also been known for the female to ingest the fry she's holding in her mouth if she doesn't release them on time.

Most reactions

Back