Midges

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

showjyr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a problem with Midges, green ones.... not sure what species. They have started hatching and are a bit of a pain. My real problem is with the amount of Larvae in my tank. None on the glass, and i think my Gauramis take care of that but they are all through my filter, in my rocks, and in any small place where the fish can't get them. They are also in a seperate tank that has Red Cherry Shrimp. I read about about a product called MidgeX but can't find it. Dimilin is out of the question because of the shrimp, crab, and snails. Can anyone help me get rid of these things?

Ok, I maybe dumb, but what is a midge? A snail??? You can buy special chemicals for that. Read the back as to the types of fish that cannot tolerate the treatment. I have lost a really nice crayfish to those kinds of chemicals.

Seems you are pretty much out of luck, ANY chemical that will kill the larva will also kill your other invertebrates....same with any spray you may use in the room :unsure: .
Bmcelfresh - think of a midge as a mosquito.....but smaller and more annoying :).

I might have a solution.
How big are your tanks and what's in them?
Where are the tanks located in the house? (high traffic area/low traffic area)
Are they in the filter media or just the walls and such?

My 10 gallon has only trumpet snails, red cherry shrimp, and 2 ramshorn snails. My 55 gallon has 1 black ghost knife, 1 pleco, 1 fantail gold, 2 red tailed sharks, 1 rainbow shark, 3 gauramis, 1 suckermouth cat, 1 asian bb cat, 1 cooli loach, 1 incandesent shark , 1 ramshorn snail, 1 mystery, and 1 red mangrove crab. They are in a pretty high traffic area(livingroom) and the damn things are in the filter, filter tubes, rocks, plants...everything but the glass thanks to the fish. So with all that..... whats your plan?

Well I have know idea how you would get rid of them,
but...
Your 55G is quite heavily overstocked -_-

Well I have know idea how you would get rid of them,
but...
Your 55G is quite heavily overstocked -_-

I'm in the process of cycling a 30/35 gallon, should be ready to go in a few weeks. I'm gonna split the group up. I've been planning to do it for some time but everyone gets along so well and has there own turf. Not a single problem to speak of until these damn Midges.....

also, crabs need air to live :good:

No worries he has full access to open air. He's got a few plants, 1 long ramp-like stick, filter uplift tube, floating cork bark, and the power head that he spends a lot of time on(even though it vibrates...weird)

Still the midge problem!! I can't be the only one in the aquarium world that has had a problem with these things. Can't anyone out there help? Any ideas...anything! I've read about midge problems in Ireland/Scottland (not in aquariums) someone in those areas must have had an infestation at one time or another.

Sorry for the delay I've been busy with work. O.K. so my original plan is not going to work. Although reading through the thread I have come up with another way that would do the trick. This will take a lot of work on your part though.

1. remove 50-75% of the water in the tank you are cycling
2. fill with water from the 55gl tank (I'm assuming the midges are not free swimming and you can do this without transferring the midges)
3. take the filter media from the 55gl tank rinse it in the tank water (till midges are gone) then put it in the 30gl
4. give the 30gl tank about 24-36hrs then take an ammonia and nitrite reading (if any is present add a detoxifier)
5. move all your fish from the 55gl to the 30gl
6. clean the hell out of the 55gl (filter, rocks, decor, everything) kill every last midge, take no prisoners
7. after 55gl is clean return the filter media, the water, and the fish
8. for the 10gl repeat steps above

When doing this be very careful not to spread the midge to the 30gl and you must kill all of them from the 55gl
I hope this helps. Any more Q's just ask. GOOD LUCK!

Sorry for the delay I've been busy with work. O.K. so my original plan is not going to work. Although reading through the thread I have come up with another way that would do the trick. This will take a lot of work on your part though.

1. remove 50-75% of the water in the tank you are cycling
2. fill with water from the 55gl tank (I'm assuming the midges are not free swimming and you can do this without transferring the midges)
3. take the filter media from the 55gl tank rinse it in the tank water (till midges are gone) then put it in the 30gl
4. give the 30gl tank about 24-36hrs then take an ammonia and nitrite reading (if any is present add a detoxifier)
5. move all your fish from the 55gl to the 30gl
6. clean the hell out of the 55gl (filter, rocks, decor, everything) kill every last midge, take no prisoners
7. after 55gl is clean return the filter media, the water, and the fish
8. for the 10gl repeat steps above

When doing this be very careful not to spread the midge to the 30gl and you must kill all of them from the 55gl
I hope this helps. Any more Q's just ask. GOOD LUCK!

I don't see how that will work,they could fly back in..

O.K. If need be isolate (move the tank) the 30gl tank in another room that has no midge about. Close the door, then use duck tape to seal the door (tape all the way around very well). Then bomb the house.

Not bad. Best answer...well only answer i've gotten. Gonna be a lot of work and some of my fish are nearly impossible to catch. Maybe i'll take a crack at it this weekend. I do have one sure fire way of getting rid of them and it's Midgex. I contacted the maker and they said it's readily availible in Southeast Asia but they don't have a permit to sell in the US. If anyone could track it down for me I would pay good money for it!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back