Midas Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppymonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have been searching for some community cichlids. I know that a lot of cichlids are very territorial but I like to have some interaction between my fish. I was reading a recent issue of Aquarium Fish magazine and it said that the Midas Cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus) could be used as a community fish. It said that the aggression commonly attributed to the midas was really from the Red Devil (Amphilophus labiatum).

Can anyone back this up? Or is this another case of a magazine being completely wrong?

:lol: would be like keeping a tiger with domestic cats, sometings gonna get hurt and it wont be the Midas.

would be like keeping a tiger with domestic cats, sometings gonna get hurt and it wont be the Midas.
:lol:

Yeah. I was looking at one, and found the same thing out!! depends on the size of the tank, but there are quite a few cichlids that will do OK in a community tank. How big is it??

Aquarium fish is a good magazine, but some things are misleading In one issue a guy had an oscar in a 20g tank, and the person writing simply said something like "Add more filtration, and do more water changes. You could also get a bigger tank" -_- I don't trust them to much :shifty:

Hi There

I bought a small orange fish from a pet shop which looked fantastic. They thought it was a Jewell cichlid later I found out it was a midas. I had it in a big tank it beat up my severums and killed lots of other fish. I didnt know it was the Midas until I sat and watched it one night. These fish are very agressive but beautiful. I now have mine on its own. Hates being on its own but have a great character. So be warned.

If you lived in Uk you could have had mine

cant say anything that hasn't already been said. in fact I am getting my F0 midas this week (hopefully)

cometcattle said:
Pick up a copy of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. Much better magazine IMO.
I have a subscription to both actually. Tropical Fish Hobbyist has a lot of technical articles which are really interesting but sometimes skimps on the more common fish in the hobby and goes into details about exotic rare fish that I am never going to be able to find.

Aquarium Fish is very generic and has a lot of useless articles but sometimes gives me information about the fish I have been thinking about getting. Sometimes its majorly wrong (like when it says do do monthly water changes instead of weekly).

I wish I could get Practical Fishkeeping but its too expensive to get sent over from the UK.

mine got eaten by the red devil. but was otherwise not really a community fish. he was great though and changed colors alot too.

Aquarium fish is a good magazine, but some things are misleading In one issue a guy had an oscar in a 20g tank, and the person writing simply said something like "Add more filtration, and do more water changes. You could also get a bigger tank" -_- I don't trust them to much :shifty:
no the cichlid you shouldn't trust is my (RED PHOENIX KING CICHLID).he's from South and Central America and grows up to a large 32 inches. he has alot of patience but when patience runs out DEAD MIDAS.:rofl:

Most of these have some kind of community tank issues.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back