🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in THIS fish-in cycle and after 6 weeks I've had no sign of nitrItes and I'm doing at least 33% water changes every other day.

I've got a Fluval U3 internal filter, so the media will need to fit in that, I guess all media fits into most filters though?

Obviously the media will need to be posted submerged in water, with space for air as well, to try to keep as much bacteria alive as possible.

I've looked at the 'donation' listing but nobody is very close to me.

Anyone?

I know its not what you want to hear but I don't think there would be much point in posting media as in most cases the bacteria would be suffocated or have dried out before it gets to you,

I know its not what you want to hear but I don't think there would be much point in posting media as in most cases the bacteria would be suffocated or have dried out before it gets to you,

wouldn't some be left after 24hrs?

Maybe in an open environment yes you would almost certainly have a small amount survive, but in a almost sealed package I'm not so sure,

tbh, I've always used products like tetra safestart and tetra bactozym and in extreme cases like this they do have their uses,

tbh, I've always used products like tetra safestart and tetra bactozym and in extreme cases like this they do have their uses,
I've got through a bottle of Nutrafin Cycle and it appears to have done the square root of nothing.

Found Bactinettes recently, might give those a go at the weekend.

Yes I would agree Nutrafin Cycle and Stress Zyme seem to do next to nothing,

If you can find bactinettes then I would definitely use it, just be sure to check the date though as this has a short product life

Do you have nitrates? Just crumble some fish food in (small amount only) each day for a week and you'll soon know if your filter is cycled.

I've shipped mature media on several occasions. I have received mature filters for some expensive fish that I wanted to do a serious quarantine on. You may get 10% die back in 24 hours being bagged, probably less. Bag with 1/3 water, 2/3 air, triple bagged. I like to add some frozen bloodworms, as these deteriorate they create ammonia, feeding the bacteria. 3 days in transit is no problem for mature media.

i could prob spare a sponge thats about 3"x5" and an inch thick it's not enough to fill a fluval u3 but it might be enough to give you a kick start it is from a very mature tank that has been running for 2+ years with no diseases in the tank. but i do have mts so it might have some hitchhikers on it as i wouldnt be washing it out lol
let me know if its any good. im in london so postage should only be overnight.

Most reactions

Back