Marine Section

I am loving the idea of a picture thread, maybe there could be a new sub forum made specially for it.
We could have a thread for different species and anyone who has said fish can post the pic there, may help with ID, diagnosis and pride :) I suppose it would be like fish/coral of the month but different.

Maybe a coral section of the same design would be good aswell.
TBH since starting out this forum has been a lifeline and I take great joy in updating my diary.
I would love to see organised events, group projects etc, more mods would be good, there are 2 or 3 members I would say are mod material without thinking to hard.

and I take great joy in updating my diary.

And we really enjoy reading it - you have quickly become a great member of the salty side of TFF :good:

Seffie x

cough, cough, there are still some of you lurking, come on, come on :fun:

In my opinion the salt section is less willing to answer. Thats only opinion and it may be nonsense but thats the feeling I get whenever I have dabbled in this side. As a freshwater keeper I am always there

I have recently had thoughts of making the move to salt but I rely purely on the advice of members on here and as a salt novice have to ask the daftest questions but answers are less forthcoming

just my two pence worth

:sad: oh sorry you feel like that - thought we had answered your questions. Update your thread with the things you think we have missed and we will do our best :good:

Seffie x

ps or did you mean it takes us longer? If so, there are fewer of us over here on the salty side, but we are top notch :fun:

Something I was mulling over today at work was that if possible on these forums, maybe a thanks system should be implemented. I have seen this used to great effect on other forums in keeping more experienced and older members active because they are accumulating "respect" or "thanks" from other members, and in turn are feeling wanted or appreciated.

Ben

:sad: oh sorry you feel like that - thought we had answered your questions. Update your thread with the things you think we have missed and we will do our best :good:

Seffie x

ps or did you mean it takes us longer? If so, there are fewer of us over here on the salty side, but we are top notch :fun:

I feel bad for putting that now Seffie cos you answered everything I needed but no I posted a bit last year when I Was going to take the plunge with a 150g marine but something happened to me financially so i couldn;t. At the time I felt I was bothering people bhy asking "noob" questions. Just my honest answer in general but thanks to your responses Seffie I feel cleaer about what I urrently plan to do. Cheers

Honestly, the more pins, subforums, splitting, etc...the more 'pork' there is. Now, don't get me wrong, there is always room for improvement. Thoughts:

1) setting up individual tank sections on how to set up a specific tank kills creativity. That's what our membership is for: to encourage the learning process, setup, cycling and stocking of a successful marine tank. That's why we have a marine resource center.

2) If the pins are old and outdated, then, I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to allow any of our members to update it and then repin. I will start a temporary pinned thread so that everyone can give their input to which links they feel need revamping. The pin will be in marine chat and will cover all sections.

3) Photographs...hmmm. We have an aquarium photo forum....we have marine journals. Is a third area really necessary??? If so, please describe.

4) I mentioned elsewhere that I used to try and write up a Marine Topic of the Week. We can restart this, or, as seffieUK did, I'd be happy to set up a pin for a monthly marine scientific journal club/discussion.]

5) I don't think that dividing the journal sections up into individual sections based on volume would be a bad idea. All that requires is footwork of organizing the links. Anyone who wants to volunteer this?

6) I like the 'thanks' system Ben. I have frequently brought up the issue in mod section of having separate and distinct 'avatars' or icons for those members who are dedicated helpers, posters, etc. I will bring your suggestion up in our mod forum

7) As far as our forum being less 'forthcoming' to answer, I think there is always some element of 'burnout' per se in EVERY forum. However, with each member who slows up, there are always new members who join that are eager. We should work to keep it this way. We are presently working on some cool stuff behind the scenes for the entire forum.

8) We have a tank of the month AND a newsletter for the entire forum. I will work with the writers to ensure that the salts get some presence there. One way to show off your corals would be to contribute a photo to the coral index in the TFF Index. Although it is NOT an area for conversation, per se, we mods will add 1, 2 or 3 pix to an index post if they are great shots or offer different views.

9) Generally, there have usually been 2 salt mods active. Initially it was Navarre and Great Lakes. GL disappeared. When Navarre slowed up we added Ski. We'll see how it goes but I know there are some rumblings for a new mod here.

10) Gurus...I think many newbs lock onto a particular member and many times we choose a newbie to help out and stay with their thread. Do we really need a guru sign up sheet???

11) Newb section: Any newbs that are salts that sign up in the newb section I will move the thread down to us. I think that adding on an entire newb section in marine would be, well...hmmmm...clutter?

Thoughts?

SH

I have recently had thoughts of making the move to salt but I rely purely on the advice of members on here and as a salt novice have to ask the daftest questions but answers are less forthcoming
Shout a bit louder Si.
We'll hear ya!
Whats a daft question between friends. lol
C

I think whats also needed for this specific section is a batch of dedicated Marine calculators & conversion tables.
If we are to be a creditable Marine incorp. forum then these should be a prerequisite so looking into this aspect may be a worthy cause to help and inform our saltysiders.
ATB
C

I must admit, I've been lurking around on this thread for days and reading, I just didn't know what to post.
As to per your comments SH:

1) I agree. Not to mention there are far too many variables when setting up a tank. It would be impossible to cover every option available and silly (I think) to only include a few.

4) I think seffie's monthly threads are a wonderful help, but I think they are a bit ruined in a sense that, to me, they aren't the easiest things to find when you are looking for a specific one! Ski has an archive going with them, I think that needs to be kept up! If we are able to increase participation in Seffie's threads, that alone would be a wonderful resource for everyone.

5) I wouldn't mind helping out and doing some work if you would explain exactly how I would go about doing that :huh:

6) Yes, great idea I think!

9) The only real use of a mod, that I can see, is to keep things organized and updated - especially the pins and such ie. Seffie's threads.

11) I agree, I think that the general marine section would be fine for newbies to post in. I think having the newer and older member's posts together helps more than harms.

Other than the general organization of this section, I'm personally fairly happy with it. Friendly people, good food. :good:

Shout a bit louder Si.
We'll hear ya!
Whats a daft question between friends. lol
C

lol cheers

I;ll need to cos I can see an expensive future for me in saltwater lol. After 18 yrs I;m spending longer and longer by the marine section at my LFS

i really like the idea of the tanks button...

i think the newbie sections a great idea too. Then if its decided we dont need a new mod or two, then maybe two or three of the more acive older members could form a newbie help team and sort of buddy the guys using this section more?

After 18 yrs I;m spending longer and longer by the marine section at my LFS
I remembered those days Si. Make sure you purchase a respirator for your wallet and be prepared to sell one of your kidneys.
You'll see something in a dealers tank, you know you shouldn't but that mist comes over you and you go ahead and make the purchase even though you'll be on dripping sarnies for the rest of the week. LOL
Regards
C
PS You'll See!

Lol bigc, how true you speak.

2 months ago me and the other bit decided to start a tank, she wanted a nemo (sigh) I wanted angelfish so marine it was.

Each time I go to LFS for water/food etc I leave with a new fish/coral/invert/equipment, naffing addiction this is.
Lucky for me I have an app on my phone that's a marine criiter info gold mine and I have that rare and shy beast, an honest and educated LFS staff member :)

(oh and I am a member of some fish forum, they seem to be almost capable :) )

Well...some starts:

A marine calculator section, and/or, organizing the marine journals into tank size...Nemo...you want to work on this? I will set up separate pins if you would like that are left 'open' for you to work on?

Pinning seffie's posts is easy..just a click.

Does anyone want to check the marine resource center, as mentioned above, to define what is old and out of date?

SH

Most reactions

Back