male fighter tanks

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

there are a couple kinds of filters that could fit in a 1 gal... a small sponge filter, which would take up a LOT of the space in a 1 gal, or an under gravel filter, which is inconvenient, inefficient and clogs easily.

by thermostat, i assume you mean a heater? a 1 gallon is too small for a heater.

a 1 gallon is most likely a fish bowl, or a critter keeper thing, and not a real tank... sorry i dont know the demensions, i'm sure there are different shapes and configurations.

if you're going to invest in a tank, i suggest at least 2 gallons or more. a 2 gallon can have a small filter and a small heater, which A) make your fish happier and healthier, and B) make less work for you.

the dimensions can vary. there's rectangular ones, round ones, wedge shaped ones, hex ones.
as for filter and heater, you can really only do a heater if its glass. there are some tiny heaters out there (one brand is Junior Heaters), meant for 1 or 2 gal tanks, but they can be hard to come by. as long as teh temp in the room stays pretty constant and in the 70s F, you really don't need a heater for the betta. filters, well azoo makes a tiny hang on back filter (do a search) that will work on some tank set up. penn plax/plex (can't remember which), makes a "small world" box filter (will need an air pump) that will fit, or you can sometimes find small undergravel filters (many of the small tanks come with one). but bettas don't really need a filter either, provided you keep the tank clean and watch your water parameters. bettas are basically surface breathers. and some bettas actually don't like the current from filters.

if you'd feel better having a filter and heater, go for something larger than one gal, like a 2.5 gal or a 5 gal tank.

DevilsAdvocate said:
are they not good then? i use an undergravel in one of my tanks.. and it seems ok.
Undergravel filters are outdated, and problems can arise with high nitrates due to the 'clogging' previously mentioned. UGF's aren't good at all for planted tanks. I use an undergravel filter in one of my betta tanks, though. :D

Most reactions

Back