Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Male Betta keeps resting on bottom of tank.

Discussion in 'Non-Splendens Betta Species' started by Potterm97, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM.

Tags:
  1. Potterm97

Potterm97 New Member

Long story short The Walmart in my town got in a shipment of bettas meant for another store and I wanted to rescue one of them from starvation. I did not know about the nitrogen cycle and put the betta in the tank the day I got him. I started doing research realized i mess up and started checking the water daily and changing it whenever the levels start getting too high.

He is in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter and his water temp stays are 76.

I've noticed he will swim around for a while and be active but then will rest on his stomach on the bottom of the tank. He doesn't do it often, maybe 4 or 5 times a day, normally he hides in a tall plant.

Is this a normal behavior or is there something wrong with him? I'm worried about him dying because I didn't cycle the tank, but I'm doing everything I can to prevent that.

2. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

Do you have test kits for the water? Are you doing water changes? If you don't have test kits yet, you'll need to change half the water, every day, as you don't know what the levels of ammonia and nitrite might be.