Making Bog Wood.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sezra

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has ever been asked before, but is there a way of making your own bog wood? Now I know bog wood spends years decaying in swamps etc, but is there anyway to make your own? If so, what is the process and what types of wood can be used?

I'm just interested really as I found nice piece of wood in the woods near my house tht would look amazing in a fish tank.

You'll want to make sure that it has dried out so that it doesn't have any sap left in it.  Then, you will want to strip its bark and clean off any dirt on it.  Lastly soak it until it sinks in a large tub or else attach it to rocks to hold it down in the tank until it sinks.  You would probably want to avoid things like pine or cottonwood but any hardwood should be good.  Do you know what kind of wood you have?

any hardwood is normally fine,

just pick any loose pieces off it like bark, clean it and soak it in a tub for about a week to kill any litle critters that may be hiding in it

if it still floats you can hold it down with rocks, i have even drilled a hole in a piece of slate and put a screw through it into the wood, then covered up the slate with the substrate,

i dont see the point in spending money on "aquarium" wood or rocks when you can find them outside for free

oh cool, so it can be done then. im not sure what wood it is, but i'll try and find out. cheers guys.

The softer the wood, the quicker it will break apart in your tank, which is the issue, really.  So, the general test is if, when scratching the wood, it comes off under your nails, then it is too soft.  Good luck, though.  Just clean it with a brush.  No soap.  No bleach.  Don't boil it. Just brush it well and then soak until it sinks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back