Make My Pleco Come Out During Daulight?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ApolloJ

Reaction score
I really like how they look...it's a shame they are nocturnal, and mine's remained hidden since forever during the day, what did I do? I stopped feeding the usual cucumber for 4 days now, he comes out a lot now! Is this a bad thing?

four days wont do anything so dont worry, however pleco's are nocturnal as you have already stated, so they tend to laze about during day, however the older and bigger they get they seem to loose the shyness, i however have subdewed lighting on my tanks, and having overhead cover helps, in my five foot i use old sheets of undergravel filter laying it across some points and leaving some clear,so theres shaded area's...My old gibbicep would always be out and about, where as my bristlenose plec and small plec which hasnt been confimed of sp yet,you rarely see them, might as well not have them, :lol: but its funny when they do make an apperence

I have the same problem , I had 2 BN juvi female and they used to tear up and down the tank all day , very active, I now have 1 male BN albino sub adult and he is very shy seems to like the shade and is rarely seen during the daylight which is a shame cos hes a really nice plec.... :good:

i have a bn and 2 clown plecos, my clowns hide often but my bn is out all the time, so was my gn. its down to the personality of each pleco.

he comes out now looking for food because he's hungry.lol poor thing. maybe now he's HAD to come out and look for food he might be seen more often, but give him back his veg, he needs it :good:

I have 3 BN that I will not often see hiding, I can see all three now. They seem to love hanging around in the sun (my tank catches alot of light in the evening, I positioned the tank like this on purpose to induce algae growth for them), and one of them does this peculiar little act where (s)he climbs above the water level and up the glass that the powerhead sprays water on, I'm not sure if he/she enjoys doing it or if they just want out haha. :D

I have my temperature low (and turn it a little lower after sundown), turn the lights on late in the morning, have a really crappy light, got them when they were really young and have ALOT of bogwood with alot of hidey holes if that helps. :)

I find that my bristle noses are very active during the day, however as soon as I go near the tank they dart to cover and stay there until ages after I have gone, so now I walk slowly past the tank and they stay out. I thought that they never came out in the day as well until I realised they were only going in when I was there :lol:
Also the more hiding places the more confident they will be, knowing there is a safe place to go if danger should make itself known.

My baby BNs 1.5-2inches are actively eating all day but the big L001 sleeps all day in his plastic tunnel and only emerges in the evening. Never seen him eat but algae pellets are gone and veg is nibbled overnight and he's quite fat so I guess he eats after I go to bed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back