Major Color Change In A Short Time

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jess6905

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok sp my friend won 2 fish at a local carnival this past summer that were about 1 1/2" ma when se got them. when she got them home she tuck them in a tank that was way too small eventhough it was only supposed to be for afew days.(1 1/2 gallon) any way when they were put into thier new home one was orange and white and the other was a silver/grey, and within 2 days the grey fish started to slowly turn white eventually losing practally all of his color. he remained practically white for several weeks if not months until her mother got them the 10 gallon they currently live in. since living in thier new home he has now turned a pale orange and stayed this shade of orange since then. what i am wondering is what could have caused this color change in such a mannor?? they are the first fish she has ever owned and still to this day argues that the fish was grey because he wasn't happy....... id like to gather a bit more information on this topic before i try to explain anything to her. iv have/had plenty of goldfish and have yet to have anything of this sort happen to any of mine so a little information would be nice.

So the silver/grey fish turned white for months and then turned orange? What about the fish that was originally orange?

Whatever the circumstances, fish fade in color when stressed out or unhealthy, and it sounds like there are lots of things that this fish could have been stressed over. The move, the small tank, and the high probability that the water quality was very poor.

Common sense: fish will look their best and show their most beautiful colors when they're healthy! I would suggest your friend do a little research on the matter to find out how to best take care of her fish if she's concerned about it. If not, then she should give them to someone who can.

Goldfish do change colour as they grow.

When young they start off a dull colour and then this gives way to other colours depending on the parentage the fish came from.

I do agree though that 10 gallons is still way too small and she should really have them in a pond. Failing that, then a 50 gallon tank will keep them happy for a couple of years.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back