Mahachai Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seffieuk

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure!
Reaction score
just saw an article about this fish - they are saying how difficult it is to keep. However after reading about the area they are caught, which seems to be brackish - isnt really suprising they are having problems keeping them in fresh water.......am i barking up the wrong tree!

Mahachai Fighter

A good paradigm of hybrid wild caught breeding techniques is presented just 20 kilometers from Bangkok. The Samutsakhon province or the local name Mahachai is the brother province of Bangkok and is also connected to the sea. Five hundred years ago Mahachai was called “Tha Cheenâ€￾ meaning Chinese sea trade port. I believe that the Chinese merchants carried Plakat Thai from this port to Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam or even Indonesia. Geographically, Mahachai is a mangrove forest, which is much different than the rice paddies most wild caught Bettas are found in. The water in the mangrove forest is brackish and full of dust, so the fish use their bright scales to communicate with each other. The Mahachai hybrid strain has unique color patterns and crystal bright scales, such a splendid and charming fish

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...oe%3DISO-8859-1

Sounds a fascinating fish.

Do remember that there is "brackish water" and then there's "brackish water". A few other anabantids are found in weakly brackish water, Anabas spp., Osphronemus spp., perhaps some others too. But none are found in mid to high salinity brackish water conditions.

Cheers, Neale

I think Wuv has had these fish in the past but not sure - could have been synirr/sorrell
try them

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back