Luke's Planted Tank Journal

Luke...i didnt know this, but i think GF225 told you before...for a smaller tank you need greater wpg ! he has advised to go for 2 bulbs....if i was u i would ignore anything i say and take his advice! The problem is if you only add one tube, then add your CO2...you may have algea issues/problems!
I would personally buy a twin controller then add the extra bulb, at the end of the day if u have a twin controller ur only missing the tube and reflector. Get them both done at the same time!

Chris

PS DIY your hood should be simple, i`m no DIY wiz but did it easily!

Yea i read it, but the thing is. There isnt any double starter kits for anything under 18 - 20w. And in order to use those, i'd need 24" of space, plus they are going to be a lot wider and i doube i'd be able to fit the unit in.

Ok, after a bit of thinking. I might just buy a bigger aquarium which will give me more space for lighting upgrades. After looking at you're DIY hood cray, it looks quite spacious. How many light bulbs does it come with as stock, 2? And what lengths?
Might look around and see if i can find one for cheap.. but this will probably put my plans back by an extra few weeks (ontop of the current time, waiting to be paid, a week tomorrow or two weeks tomorrow i think :( ).
I probably wont bother with the stand, makes it cheaper for me lol :).
Would you say its best, as it will give me more room to plant and layout, i can spread across rather than just up.
I would probably rather it too as it looks nicer than the tank i was planning on planting.
EDIT: Just noticed some of the rekords dont come with hoods, i'd have to buy one with a hood or get the hood ontop of the tank.
EDIT: Might get the rekord 60, cheaper and i didnt really want too big to start with for planted.

Yea, i mean i dont mind the 3" less, plus i have less money available.
I'm going to an aquarium shop in leeds today.. i might pick up a tank, might not be a rekord because they have lots of small - medium, even large tanks.. but i'm looking at anything between 20 - 70l volume. And a good length so i can fit longer lights in.
Probably not going to buy one today as i doubt my mom will lend me the money, but if she does the only problem is we dont have a car, so it would mean taking the tank on the bus lol, so it might be easier to just get a rekord from pets@home (only 2 minx in a taxi from my house).

First piece of equipment turned up today. My Hagen Natrual Plant C02 System (what a mouth full :D)
Pic:

Ok, after a bit of thinking. I might just buy a bigger aquarium which will give me more space for lighting upgrades.

:lol::lol::lol: you've fallen into the fishkeeping trap - getting a bigger tank! I always want a bigger tank!

Go for it!

Cheers for the support guys.
I'll prob update later when i know if i've got a tank from leeds, or if my mums gona lend me the dosh.
Cheers for the Jimboo link Craynerd.

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/interpet-...gear-o-167.html
I emailed the sellers about that lighting unit. I got a reply back saying:
Hello Luke,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Interpet Convertagear in different watts does fit in two tubes: http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/interpet-...gear-o-167.html

Many thanks

Regards,

Customer Service Team.

So i suppose i could get that if the tank i get has no lighting fixtures (probably will have at least one). So i suppose i could just get a single lighting starter unit as i am more than likely going to get a tank that has one bulb already, hopefully a rekord 60.

Right, i'm not going to get any money off my mom, so i'll have to wait until next friday when i get paid, and i'll pic the tank up on saturday. Going to get either a rekord 60/70. I looked at the place in leeds and the rekord 60 was £99.00 just for the tank! Not sure how much they are at Pets@home but i'm sure they are cheaper. I just hope they have some in..
Craynerd, how much was you're Rekord 70? I'm not bothered about the stand, the tank will do.

Just nocied that my bubble counter/difuser ladder has a small crack in it. I'm not sure if it will effect it but i'm not sure how i can test it without
actually using any of the supplied sachets (i'll use these to start with then make my own mix once they've run out).
I was thinking i could submurg it and blow into the tube and allow an air buble to go up and see if its effected by the crack.
I've sent them an email anyway asking for a replacment, if they wont replace it without actually seeing it i wont bother, i'll just try and find a diffuser in my lfs as its to much hassle sending all the equipment back, waiting for my costs to be refunded for the delivery and then getting a replacement. And after all that, they can still deny a exchange of refund if they dont see it as damaged.
I've taken a picture of it and put that in the email too, i hope they dont want it back as i wont send it back.
Dear Sir/Madam,
I recieved my order of the Hagen A-7690 C02 Natural Plant System today (20/4/2006).
Invoice number - ****
Customer Ref - ****
Order Reference ****

I was pleased with everything i recieved in the package, other than one item, the 'Bubble counter/diffuser'. It has a crack in the top part, and i was hoping you would be able to send me a replacment part. I have taken a picture of the damaged piece for you to view.. http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00259qe.jpg
I hope to hear from you soon, can i just ask if you do send a replacment part, that it is packaged in a container, as the one i recieved in the box was well packaged yet it still got damaged either in transit, or in the warehouse.
Thank you for you're time.
Regards

Would blowing slowly into the pipe connected to the difuser be a good way to see if its effected by the crack? As the air bubble may show if its effected.

Actually after thinking about it, i shouldnt have to put up with a damaged item, even though it might still work, or i could replace it for a few quid. So if they wont send me a single plastic bubble counter/diffuser, they better let me send it back and they can replace the entire package. I'm sure they'll just send me a plastic diffuser, it will be cheaper for them i should imagine.

Right, i'm not going to get any money off my mom, so i'll have to wait until next friday when i get paid, and i'll pic the tank up on saturday. Going to get either a rekord 60/70. I looked at the place in leeds and the rekord 60 was £99.00 just for the tank! Not sure how much they are at Pets@home but i'm sure they are cheaper. I just hope they have some in..
Craynerd, how much was you're Rekord 70? I'm not bothered about the stand, the tank will do.

Mate, Ive not used them myself but have a look at this online shop, could save yourself a packet, seems that postage and packing is free too.

Sam

Bloody hell mate, thats a great find. I also found:
http://www.rocketrading.co.uk/product_info...&products_id=66
Free postage
Thank you for finding that link Sam, i appreciate it very much.
EDIT: just added it to basket and postage is free :D. Next friday i'll order it :D. Cheers Sam.
EDIT 2: Just checked terms and conditons
Orders over £50.00 are delivered free to Mainland UK*. Orders under £50.00 are subject to a delivery charge of £4.95.

*Except for aquariums, on which carriage will be charged at cost. We will advise of the carriage charge by return e-Mail. You will then have the option of cancelling.
If the postage is less than a tenner its still cheaper than the link i found so i'd go with it. If its more then i'll go with the rocketrading.co.uk. I'll email them and ask how much it would be.

Id say that bubble ladder wont work correctly Luke as the bubbles need to travel up that part of the plastic......Hopefully they will send you out a replacement one. Tank is looking good BTW :D

Most reactions

Back