Lower PH

jh505

Reaction score
Apologies if there is another thread like this.
I have a planted Aquarium, My water levels have a very high PH and GH reading currently and was wondering ways in which to reduce this.
I do have easy access to RO water nearby so was wondering if that is a good option. I understand that you have to add minerals back to it, in that case, what is the best product to do that? Thanks in advance

You can always mix RO with hard tap water to get the GH you want. A 50:50 mix will halve the GH, for example. Mixing tap and RO will also reduce KH. The pH will be what it will be; pH is less important to fish than GH.

You can lower pH with botanicals such as catappa leaves (it is recommended to use 1 leaf per 5 gal and then check your pH), catappa bark, birch cones, casaurina cones, alder cones, and dry leaves such as oak, birch, beech, nettle, and so much more. If you put some driftwood in and the water tints brown, that lowers pH some too, I believe.

If the water is hard, botanicals will have little effect on pH unless KH is reduced. If RO is used, either mixed with tap water or remineralisation salts added, the resulting lower GH and KH will allow botanicals to lower pH.

You can lower pH with botanicals such as catappa leaves (it is recommended to use 1 leaf per 5 gal and then check your pH), catappa bark, birch cones, casaurina cones, alder cones, and dry leaves such as oak, birch, beech, nettle, and so much more. If you put some driftwood in and the water tints brown, that lowers pH some too, I believe.
Botanical acidifying effects are negligible towards the hardness of water. Their uses of Tannins and humic acids are more targeted at the living inhabitants for their properties.

Even if it is soluble in alkaline solution. the quantity required would probably fill the tank completely to be effective.

The time their effects remains available on living things will last. Depends on the hardness of the water and the redundancy of dissolution occurring.

I've been playing a bit with my betta tank and the presence of mainly catappa leaves and bark. it's good, it washes quickly, but it still remain as a nice piece of decor.

I'm trying for the 3rd week adding Fritz Dark Water at a really slow paste... It must contain some prozac.. And it taste great.

Big is chilling, he his smooth like butter now, he even masticates his pellets before swallowing. It's Not the same fish.

Humic acids... Also since using it, it dissolved the building protein layer floating at the top to extinction.

Is it because your tap water is really hard or something in the tank seems to be increasing your water hardness ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back