Low Energy Lightbulbs

Sorry for being stupid :S But I don't get it. Do you mean that people think it's no good BECAUSE it's cheap? They'd rather get expensive stuff to be sure that it's good?

Sorry for being stupid :S But I don't get it. Do you mean that people think it's no good BECAUSE it's cheap? They'd rather get expensive stuff to be sure that it's good?

Thats it !!! they will only buy "proper" stuff.... from "proper" shops !!!! its just human nature it seems.... I, on the other hand will cut corners until its round ! lol :p

One of my other hobbies is ham radio - they are royalty at this theory.... build an antenna for £5 or buy one for £200 ... no prizes !

I see, so people like me *cough*cheap*cough* will get that and save some money. Do you think I can get this in the US? If so..where online?

What about the whole hood thing? I'm going to go ahead with this plan, but not now as I'm in school. This summer, I will build my own hood and want to learn as much about it as possible. What kind of fittings and miscellaneous things will I need?

>>> people take a LOT of convincing before leaving the beaten track...

I think one reason people don't suddenly dump their existing systems and buy into cf's is because they already have their existing system, it works well, and the cost of replacing a working system with a slightly cheaper working system is simply not justified.

Apart from lamps, I haven't bought any lighting gear for 10+ years. It is all good stuff. If I was going to start a new tank tomorrow with all new gear, I may well consider cf's as a partial solution, but I still do not believe you can get the same range of spectral options in cf's as you can with T5's or T8's.

So people who don't have lighting systems already should buy into this cf idea. I get what you mean Lateral Line, and it totally makes sense.

So all in all:
If you need a good plant light for a cheap price, get LOW ENERGY LIGHTBULBS

Hi Rooster.

I am infact currently using them energy savers above me planted 29G tank!

I went around the WHOLE town of Poznan looking for them light bulbs...checking every box for 860...I even asked, with my very very crappy Polish for them light bulbs... i went to the extent of drawing them bulbs and a sun...to show daylight... and i felt like i was talkng to deaf ppl with all my hand gestures...pointing at white pieces of paper for "natural white". I felt like a fool.

Anyway... after a long time of searching, i gave up and called my mum in Australia and asked her to send me a couple of them bulbs from Australia cos i knew they had them there as i had seen it b4 in a hardware store.

I have 5000K ones now...cos mum couldnt find the 6000 or 6500 ones.

They work a charm with plants... with CO2 and ferts.

Oh btw. I had asked in the planted section b4 whether u are to take into account the 20W or the output of say 100W when trying to work out Watts per Gallon, and i was told to use the 20W for the calculation. I dont know if u get me...?

anyway. HTH

Oh btw. I had asked in the planted section b4 whether u are to take into account the 20W or the output of say 100W when trying to work out Watts per Gallon, and i was told to use the 20W for the calculation. I dont know if u get me...?

anyway. HTH
I get you :nod: , that was a question I was going to ask, so to clarify, a household 20w low energy bulb is the equivalent of a normal household 100w bulb, but for aquarium use it IS a 20W bulb and you forget what it is equivalent to.

Arfie

Then that means that the bulbs are pretty much useless, if you wanted more light with a smaller electricity bill. However, they are still useful because they are cheaper than t5 bulbs and are capable of the same wattage for a smaller price.

Then that means that the bulbs are pretty much useless, if you wanted more light with a smaller electricity bill. However, they are still useful because they are cheaper than t5 bulbs and are capable of the same wattage for a smaller price.
And no need for a ballast ;)

The original enquiry wasn't about saving energy costs its was about being able to use cheaper bulbs and fittings.

Arfie

Hey, no worries, at that point I didn't even realise that there were different colour temperatures in low energy bulbs :S

Now I know I can get em for around a fiver and no need for a ballast etc, I'm happy enough :nod: Of course I'd have been happier if I could use the ones I have stuffed in a cupboard ;)

I suppose if you aren't growing plants you could use any of them :dunno:

Arfie

Most reactions

Back