Looking For Livebearers/small Breeders!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brahmza

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking to scope out options for a few new tanks I have cycling. I want to breed livebearers, but I'm looking for breeds that are commonly accepted by some local fish stores. I know most stores won't take guppies, but what about platies, mollies or swords? Are there any other livebearing fish I could breed? I have a 10g standard, a 20G long and a .5g filtered breeding box.

If not, I'm also interested in any other smaller egg-laying fish that would work in those tanks. Currently breeding German Blue Rams in my 55g. Open to any options available! Thanks!

Honestly I think you'd struggle to get a LFS to take any livebearers - there do easy to breed and readily available that I doubt they have any value.

Something I considered recently was using a 10g to breed scarlet badis - stunning little fish that are hard to get hold of and would certainly have some resale value.

Very small colourful fish difficult to get hold of and always in demand

I'm thinking specififically of certain microrasboras or something like CPDs.

What about Kribnesis? My 20g long should be large enough for a pair of them. I can use a divider so separate broods, and my 10 for additional housing of fry. Would that be a viable option? Never heard of scarlet badis before, gonna read up on them.

Yes Kribensis would be fine for a 20 long - as would any dwarf cichlid. A nice hareem of apistogrammas would be stunning. Might be a little tight in the 10G. Have a search around online and source an unusual dwarf cichlid - the ones you can get in your LFS barely touch the surface of what's available. By getting something that's not available easily you will have more luck selling on the fish.

Another idea for a 20 long would be cory - again find a slightly less common cory and I think they would definitely hold some value.

My scarlet badis suggestion was for a 10 gallon tank.

Here is an example do what a rare apistogramma can be worth versus say Kribs or a more common strain such as as aggasiz.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/414675-large-f1-pairs-of-apistogramma-cruzerio-rare/

Kribensis are fine. And not only do they breed easily, they take care of their young, which is interesting to watch.

Well, I was talking with my LFS and they told me they have some red-eye blood red high fin lyretail swordtails that fly out of the tanks when they get them in, and a harem of them would work in a 20-long. Otherwise, I'll be looking at kribs or another small cichlid to breed. Still debating on my 10g, not sure where I'll find scarlet badis. They told me if I were to breed pure red or pure blue guppies they would buy them from me. So I could always do that.

Most reactions

trending

Back