Looking for fellow owners of the Fluval Flex

IndiaHawker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Adopted it about a week ago complete with fish and equipment, loving the tank but the main thing I'm having trouble with is cleaning out the back section! Clearly I'm not the only one as although I thought I'd given it a reasonably thorough clean, I was cleaning out my filter today (think I'd partially blocked it with stray strands from all the new plants) and found a gross layer of muck that I'd missed up one side. To anyone familiar, or if you look it up online, the back is split into three tall narrow sections which house the filter and heater. Looks awesome as you can't see them in the 'on-show' part of the tank but tricky to clean! So far my best tactic is hands-in to feel where the algae and muck is to wipe it off with my fingers, and then gravel vac in there the best I can to hoover up the excess algae. But I end up with inevitable excess muck still floating around in there and unsure how to get it out - my small net doesn't do a great job because there's a few sticky-out bits in the tall narrow sections. Same with the sponge-on-a-stick thing that came with the tank - great for glass cleaning; not so great for awkwardly-shaped muck-prone sections. All I intended on doing was a quick filter rinse (did a partial water change a couple of days ago) and ended up having to do another partial water change after the amount of crap I managed to siphon out of the back sections (first one in particular)!

So this is a plea as it seems like a relatively popular tank and there must be others out there who own this tank and have awesome well-adapted cleaning routines! Or even if from a couple of google searches you understand what I mean and are able to help! Please share tips :) Want to keep my tank as clean as possible and it's hard starting off with no experience in a tank like this!

Does your flex have the little covers for the slots into chamber 1? If so you can fill these with sponge or filter floss. I have sponge in mine and rinse these with every water change. If you don't have the covers just jam some sponge in behind the slots. I also rinse the filter sponge every water change. If you can stop the muck from going in you shouldn't have to do much else. Algae doesn't grow in there because there is no light. After my gravel vac I use a hose to siphon from the back, but that's mostly because my nerite snail goes in there and is quite messy. I clean the pump, hose and water outlet about once a month.

If you are into that there is a facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694556090874834/). There are often good ideas on there for mods and decoration but be aware that some of the fish keeping advice may be a bit dodgy and there are some that have horribly overstocked (and sometimes inappropriately stocked) tanks. This site is definitely better for fish keeping advice.

Thanks for the help! Yeah it has the intake covers, good idea about putting sponge in them! Would it have to be the right kind of sponge to prevent from blocking up the filter/slowing down water flow? I imagine it's easy enough to find the right kind online if needed anyway - may try this - just a little worried as when I was first getting the tank in, I filled it up and then remembered that it had come (secondhand) with the bottom cover fallen off - and had a bit of a nightmare getting it on with the fish and plants already in - and that was before I'd redecorated! As I assume I'd need to wash the sponges weekly with the filter I'm worried as to whether I'd be able to successfully get both back on... but I do like that idea and could really help! Also thanks for the FB group suggestion, I've joined it! Need more fish-related things on my FB and could be helpful! :)

Would it have to be the right kind of sponge to prevent from blocking up the filter/slowing down water flow?
I had some pond filter sponge lying around. and just cut it to size. They are pretty easy to clip in and remove - practice on the top one.

Thanks, will do! I'd like to take the bottom one off anyway asap as (thanks to you mentioning this) I've noticed I think there's a few stray plant fronds trapped in it. Cleaning the pump out in a bit so will have a mess around with the top intake cover and see how it goes, I'd like to be able to get the bottom one on and back off tonight :)

Most reactions

Back