Lonely Neon – Would Cardinals Make Good Friends?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ClareJ

Reaction score
I have been given a tank which came with, amongst other fish, one lonely neon tetra. Although I have been able to introduce glow band tetras successfully, I bought 5 neons who unfortunately all died within 2 days :(. I have been told that neons will hang out with cardinals (which would be ideal as it seems cardinals are hardier, and I’m a bit anxious about trying neons again as I was really upset about the pre-mentioned deaths). Does anyone know if this is true?

They sometimes shoal together :) quite similar fish apart from the obvious red band going all the way vs half.
Should be fine. still need a nice stable mature tank though to thrive... water parameters?

I suggest unless you got good water parameters that cardinals would be better for you than neons. Also it is best to keep six or more tetra of the same species in the aquarium. But tetras do best in a well planted aqaurium with moderate lighting. Tetras also love the food Hikare Micro pellets. I know since I use to have Tetras. But traded them for 3 Austrailian Rainbows. I still am very mad :grr: because one of the Rainbows had internal paracites and died. But still 3 neons for 3 Austrailian Rainbows sound like a good deal. :good:

Most reactions

Back